Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Windows conspiracy theory

linky (Caution: It's looooong)

This is a 3-year old article but I just came across it today. I'm not very computer savvy so I'd like to hear what other people think. In the comments at the end, someone posted solutions to all the security leaks mentioned in the article, and some others brushed off the author as a nutjob.

There's another conspiracy theory that the US govt pays software companies to design their anti-spyware programs to purposely ignore spyware that the govt installs on people's computers. The rumor is that AVG is the only well known company that refused to make this deal. Confirm/deny?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Windows conspiracy theory

All I'll say is LOL.

Some of the things a true, some sound like they were written by an idiot and some are just not true - even then.

"Microsoft Windows defaults to sharing your files using SAMBA across the Internet" - nice work there, SAMBA isn't a Microsoft technology.

The sysinternals tools, freely available, let you access all of these so called "hidden" features and what not.

Other freely available tools also let you inspect other areas and what not.

Nonsense conspiracy garbage.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:35 PM

"Hooked DLLs are used to intercept keystroke"
keyloggers running in ring3 are really primitive, and easily detectable compared to one running in ring0.

why are the feds bothering with backdooring these userland apps? if they really got the help of MS wouldnt they backdoor the kernel?

"Incoming firewall only. This allows spyware to transmit information without any problems or detection."
writing a firewall for outgoing traffic that isnt annoying to the enduser isnt easy. allow/deny dialogs would confuse a lot of people.

theres stealthier ways to hide files than alternative data streams, and i've seen raw sockets implemented in warez pre-XP days.

these methods to backdoor a machine are really ghetto for a large scale conspiracy theory, even a typical script kiddie crew deploys better technologies.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Wow conspiracy nuts are crazy. If you believe 9/11 was an inside job and JFK was shot by the government from the grassy knol, then i guess you can go ahead and believe everything in that article.