Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 07:07 AM

Default AQ misses the flop against a looser preflop RRer

he runs 28/23/4 over 125 hands and my notes say that he is very aggro preflop from what I've seen.

What is your plan when missing the flop on a board like this? On other types of boards?

Obviously a fold is standard, but how often are you mixing it up?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $2/$4 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $370.00
BB: $455.00
UTG: $751.60
MP: $242.00
CO: $755.00
Hero (BTN): $459.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $14.00</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $44.00</font>, Hero calls $30.00

Flop: ($90) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $64.00</font>,
Old 08-21-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Re: AQ misses the flop against a looser preflop RRer

Pre-flop, against a villian with a huge 3-bet range in a Butt/BB situation I think it goes..

fold&gt;4-bet&gt;&gt;&gt;call

Your almost certainly ahead of his range, but if you just call you've lost iniative and are missing most flops.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he runs 28/23/4 over 125 hands and my notes say that he is very aggro preflop from what I've seen.

What is your plan when missing the flop on a board like this? On other types of boards?

Obviously a fold is standard, but how often are you mixing it up?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $2/$4 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $370.00
BB: $455.00
UTG: $751.60
MP: $242.00
CO: $755.00
Hero (BTN): $459.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $14.00</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $44.00</font>, Hero calls $30.00

Flop: ($90) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $64.00</font>,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a great spot to bluff re-raise. Having a K here looks very believable, it looks like you're defending against a possible flushdraw. He also won't try to push you off a weaker hand like a K with weak kicker as he will think it would look like he is pushing with a draw.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 AM

having a K here actually does not look believable at all, raising here is repping a draw or set (i.e. almost all draws)
Old 08-21-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
having a K here actually does not look believable at all, raising here is repping a draw or set (i.e. almost all draws)

[/ QUOTE ]

Any K is likely ahead on a flop like this but is very vulnerable because of the flush draw. I think most people realize this and elect to re-raise with their pair. I think this applies much to the middle-stakes games where people generally are good at (over-) defending and value betting made hands.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:27 AM

A king isn't "very vulnerable" just because there are 2 cards of the same suit on the flop HU in a 3 bet pot. Your not repping KQ- with a raise here. I agree with ipokeder this is a more common line to take with a set or a draw.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A king isn't "very vulnerable" just because there are 2 cards of the same suit on the flop HU in a 3 bet pot. Your not repping KQ- with a raise here. I agree with ipokeder this is a more common line to take with a set or a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have used the phrase "seems very vulnerable" as that is what I meant. I don't think it is a common line at these stakes to re-raise with a flush draw. Competent players may push to add some fold equity and fishy players may do it because they feel like gambling but most people just check/calls with their draws. I do think it is a more common line for people to re-raise with a K with decent to good kicker on a flop like this.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:07 PM

Location: \"If it shows their cards why did you keep betting?\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have used the phrase "seems very vulnerable" as that is what I meant. I don't think it is a common line at these stakes to re-raise with a flush draw. Competent players may push to add some fold equity and fishy players may do it because they feel like gambling but most people just check/calls with their draws. I do think it is a more common line for people to re-raise with a K with decent to good kicker on a flop like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it's ridiculously common and standard to throw in a raise with a draw here. like others have said, raising is pretty much repping only sets and draws. i'd just pitch it, and probably would have 4bet pf if i wanted to do anything other than fold to his 3bet
Old 08-21-2007, 12:12 PM

wtf? 4-betting here IMO is total spew. against an overaggro guy like this he's probably shoving with a massive range that i can't call.

i think calling in position and going all in when i flop a pair is much better.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:25 PM

wtf? If you think he's shoving such a "massive range" then AQ is ahead and you can/should call after 4 betting. I doubt he's really that wild though.