Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Career Judgement

I've been playing poker full time since July 1 of this year. I joined a local country club I used to work at as an assistant golf professional. Every time I've been there for the last two months people ask many annoying questions and pass a lot of non verbal judgement (i.e. tone, facial expressions, etc...).

The question that really bothers me for some reason is, "So are you still/really making any money?" For the record, I do win, but what are some good strategies/answers for dealing with this question? I obviously don't ask people how much money they make, or if there last payroll check cleared at the bank. Any thoughts much appreciated.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Career Judgement

Their annoying questions might actually be genuine interest. You will be able to judge that better than me because you know them.

If you told them you were going to be a poker pro you have got to assume you will get some interested "friends". Some will be hoping you do well and some will be expecting you to fail.

If you are happy with your choice thats all that matters. When it comes to how much you have won you are within your rights to tell them to mind their own business.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:05 PM

U could just say that you dont like to talk about money. I dont know if this is considered rude where u live but in germany everybody would understand it.

Or you could just say " enough to pay my bills and smile or something"
Old 09-18-2007, 02:50 AM

They just got mad b/c they can't do what you do. I stop my real jobs 3 years ago. I'm not a big winner on poker but lucky enough my income the last 3 years came from poker sport betting. When I 1st quit the jobs my friends have the same look at you just say but after yrs they saw me getting everything I want now they respect me more.
Overall Who care about what people think anyway. Live for yourself and do what you enjoy the most.