Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-28-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Breaking out the mundanity of every day life (long)

Ah the moment of truth when you realize; there's more to living than just showing up each day.
You're young. If there's piece of advice a fatherly 58 YO can give, it would be:

Follow your bliss. Find a way to earn a living doing what ever brings you great joy yet keeps the wolves from the door. It doesn't have to bring you great riches or fame/status. Take pleasure in doing something well.
Helping others costs nothing, emotionally or finacially. You gain strength from the experience. Existentially, your search for meaning may be a willingness to engage with others, not seek isolation.

In the words of Bo Lozoff, "We're all doing time".
Live, don't settle for existing.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:01 AM

OP, I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I would take what 'advice' people are giving with a grain of salt...

Furthermore, you mentioned that you feel you have no one that you can confide in 'IRL'. Have you considered counseling to help make sense of what you are going through atm, and what previous events have led you to your current situation? Therapy/counseling can seem like a daunting prospect, but it may just be the thing that helps guide you back onto a satisfying path in life.

This isn't intended to be taken as advice, rather a suggestion of possible avenues you may not have considered.

Best wishes.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:06 AM

oh, and albeit preemptive, henry17, if you have any criticisms of my post, please keep them to yourself; I'm not particularly interested in defending anything I have said. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh, and albeit preemptive, henry17, if you have any criticisms of my post, please keep them to yourself; I'm not particularly interested in defending anything I have said. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, you are on the wrong site. This site is all about arguing and defending your positions. That's how we come up with the most well rounded ideas.

Secondly, I disagree with Henry17's point - investing some time into helping others can be extremely cathartic. Basically, you have all of these issues where you are at the center. Will "you" have a girlfriend? Will "you" get laid? Will "you" make money as a poker player? That's just a ton of pressure whereas the first two concerns are natural and the third, well, is one where self-obsession tends to take over. You are also placing a pretty intense existential burden on yourself.

Have you tried tutoring at a learning center? Doing public service? Helping a friend / family member with a project where you can be of service? Having a concern toward something that involves concrete responsbilities outside of thinking about your difficult situations / whether 77 can hold against your opponent's range will probably open up some doors of thought inside your head, thereby relieving some of the pressure focused on your (legitimately) self involved issues right now.

Barry
Old 11-28-2007, 12:06 PM

yeh, i understand your point Barry... I was just expecting the mandatory "Psychology is BS" response. I agree that anyone can argue what they wish. I perhaps should not of taken such a defensive stance. I guess I expected to get 'flamed' for giving my input, which Henry seems to have made a hobby out of.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:07 PM

OP's major problem is that he is broke. The merits of helping others isn't relevant. It won't make him money and it will eat up energy and time. If I was in his position I be doing whatever it took to increase my income and nothing else.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:53 PM

life tends to suck a lot. stop drinking and find a way to finish off the debt the fastest way you can. put everything else aside. the next time life starts sucking again, well at least you dont owe anybody any money.