Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: November Goals, Graphs, Results Thread

To you guys making winrate goals over 1.2k samples:

wtf.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

for me, having a goal of winning such and such helps me play better and more focused.

you dont have to meet it to have a succesful month though. and it might not be true for everyone - for some, having such a goal might make them play worse.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

for me, having a goal of winning such and such helps me play better and more focused.

you dont have to meet it to have a succesful month though. and it might not be true for everyone - for some, having such a goal might make them play worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely helps me play better having a specific, objective goal for the end of each month. I completely understand that for 1400 hands my actual win-rate is fairly close to meaningless. But if I set the goal 6 months in a row, it's helpful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It definitely helps me play better having a specific, objective goal for the end of each month.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that having the goal of winning "x" amount of money over a short period of time playing a high variance game leads one to play better...

...it doesn't, unless you need this goal to take the game semi-seriously and not make super retarded plays.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It definitely helps me play better having a specific, objective goal for the end of each month.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that having the goal of winning "x" amount of money over a short period of time playing a high variance game leads one to play better...

...it doesn't, unless you need this goal to take the game semi-seriously and not make super retarded plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

where do you come up with this bs

like i said it varies from person to person.

and if having a goal to "win money" increases your +EV, then your goal should be "win money." that simple. if it doesnt, then you goal should NOT be to "win money," but to do something that WILL increase your EV.

but just going out and making a blanket statement like that is silly.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:58 PM

Both short term and long term goals are good for any game IMO. It can keep one more focused. For some it makes no difference I suppose. For me my long term goal is continue to make good decisions overall
Old 11-02-2007, 02:59 PM

November Goals:

30 Hours of live 8/16 kill, 1.5 BB/hour

To learn to be more disciplined when playing Omaha/8B. I am trying to expand my game options and my Omaha 8 game is awful, I probably need to spend a few hours reading up...
Old 11-02-2007, 03:35 PM

Play good.
Make supernova.
Play a bunch of sitngos.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Kit,

This might just be me not being able to be objective, but I feel that in poker (as well as others areas of life), wasting energy or thought over things completely out of my control is just that: a waste. I've spent a lot of effort into trying to rid my subconscious of these thoughts and I feel like it's made a very significant difference in my poker game, as well as being beneficial in other aspects of my life. It just creates a subtle and maybe not even conscious mindset that, imo, is detrimental to your current game and your ceiling.

There's probably also something to be said of the subconscious psychological effects of not completing a goal. I don't know a lot about this side of things, other than what I've picked up from golf, but the effects there are huge and I would tend to think the same would be true of poker to at least some extent.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:20 PM

Goals for November...

To quit merely lurking and reading the collected wisdom here, get over my fear of looking like the poker dunce that I am, and to jump in feet first to this poker version of Lord of the Flies (and I am pretty sure I will be playing the role of the fat kid...).

Expect an introductory post of some sort explaining my current game as I see it and then it is open season!

To win enough on a trip to Vegas later in the month to cover the cost of the trip to Vegas later in the month...