Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Official Midge \"I hate the USA and also Christians\" Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Boro,

Thanks for your reply. Now another question and about the American Revolution. How come the rallying cry was "no taxation without representation", instead of "no taxation and no representation either", which you AC'ers seem to want?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they were under the same mistaken conclusion that you are, that if you don't have a special class of people (namely them) allowed to commit theft, murder, kidnapping, counterfeiting, and other assorted crimes that society would be plunged into chaos.

[ QUOTE ]
I mean at no point did the majority of the founding fathers envision any system, Articles of Confederation or Federalist, where there wasn't coercive taxation, at least on the state level. So how come you AC'ers who like to hearken back to the founding fathers don't also view all of them as also perpetuating that "fundamental conceptual flaw"?

[/ QUOTE ]

We do. Duh. The Constitution was a coup d'etat by wealthy landowners, merchants, and bankers. The Articles of Confederation were far superior, and what ills there were could easily have been solved by less government, not more. The entire western frontier was pretty much anarchic and doing just fine thank you very much. The entire state government of Pennsylvania shut down at one point from lack of interest.

Pretty much every dire prediction made by the Anti-Federalists has come to pass and every pooh-pooh of the Federalists has been destroyed by historical hindsight.

I blame Alexander Hamilton for all of this. The entire [censored] state of the modern world. I suppose I can't give him credit for fractional reserve banking, but pretty much everything else is ultimately his fault in one way or another.

Radical enough for you?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:40 AM

Congratulations MidGe for getting so under the skin of our old friend BluffTHIS!
Old 11-11-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
boro,

if you can go around supporting a racist for president (RedBean,

[/ QUOTE ]

Boro supports RedBean for president?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How come the rallying cry was "no taxation without representation", instead of "no taxation and no representation either", which you AC'ers seem to want?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get me some representation and then we'll talk.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The entire western frontier was pretty much anarchic and doing just fine thank you very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

"entire"? You mean including the short-lived State of Franklin that cried like a baby for a more robust statist government to take them over and protect them from the depredations of the Indians? It happens that they got your state of residence to take them under their wing, but they also courted Spain. Funny how those hardy pioneers had to rely on state organized tax district militias to protect themselves from the menacing tribes *all along the frontier*. Why didn't they voluntarily associate with others to defend themselves without government? Answer equals because there weren't enough of them willing to join militias without bounty land inducements provided by the state. All those pioneers cared about was grabbing themselves a piece of land before it was all gone. Sure some of them like Daniel Boone professed not to like the "crowded" circumstances after even more settlers arrived and moved further west. But mainly they just wanted some cheap/free land.

And hey talking about voluntary associations and those merchant elites, what about the Whiskey Rebellion? The merchant banker elite in Massachusetts voluntarily paid for and organized private militia to fight the voluntarily organized and tax resisting militia/rabble of the frontier. Isn't this just how warfare in AC-Land would look like?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:16 AM

I like this guy.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

A long time ago, Bluff used to be on my least favorite posters list. That was mostly because it's hard to recognize true genius. Just as Galileo was persecuted by the "learned authorities" of his day, Bluff is hated by many "respected" but less-than-brilliant posters here.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:07 AM

I don’t know a whole lot of the contrarians on this forum other then Midge and Snowball, but these two are awesome even if I completely disagree on many of their points. Without them, we might as well just tune into Oprah and skip the 2plus2 debates all together. When I post, I notice, that in the course of an hour, I might get 3 or 4 people looking and wondering, but when Midge posts, within an hour, 30 or more people tune in. Got to love him for the entertainment value if nothing else and for the fact that he pushes so many people’s buttons that he keeps every person interested. His views in SMP are usually spot on and always well thought out. Go Midge Go.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:05 AM

That's a good point yuk, a lot of what I learn about government and the constitution and etc etc is gained from responses to Midge's posts, Copernicus' posts. Not that these two posters are similar, but they both tend to disagree with the common principles of posters in this forum, and without dissent we'd have nothing to talk about, nothing to talk about means I wouldn't have learned a tenth of what I know from reading this forum. Go internet.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:07 AM

On one hand, I'm disappointed that Bluff's first Politics thread in a while was a troll. OTOH, I laughed at this thread too much to lock it. And [censored] getting pounded, ship the $400.