Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Borgata $20/$40, Two Staking Opportunities

I was down in Atlantic City this weekend for a poker trip with a friend of mine. My normal comfort zone for live games is between 5/10 and 10/20, inclusive. My favorite AC game is the pink chip at trop. I'm a standard SSHE disciple, learned to play in the micro-limit forums when Bison was king.

My friend plays 20/40 and higher. He played the Borgata game Thursday night and told me I "had to play it," it was "Candyland." Since I'm a bankroll nit, I told him that was out of my comfort zone and wouldn't play.

He offered two opportunities;

1) Crossbook 50%, equally split winnings and losses when we're both seated at 20/40.

OR

2) He'd stake me for half of my buy-in.

Just to get this out of the way, there's no way I'd play 20/40 and revert to some weak-tight strategy where I'm dead money to the other TAGs. A bet is a bet.

20/40 Borgata Pros...... What's the right play?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Borgata $20/$40, Two Staking Opportunities

Take a shot.

NineinchAl could answer better than me.
I do not think I have ever seen that dude with less than 5 racks of red at the table.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:51 AM

STAKING PEOPLE IS A BAD IDEA! if they are so good why would they need staking, id just play urself if u studied SSHE, if u can beat .25-.50 cents on stars u can beat a live 20-40 game easy.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
STAKING PEOPLE IS A BAD IDEA! if they are so good why would they need staking

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about this for about 6 hours, and I can't think of any possible reason.

[ QUOTE ]
id just play urself if u studied SSHE

[/ QUOTE ]

hee hee
Old 09-17-2007, 11:45 AM

God is it really that good? I'm there every week and on weeknights it's like "decent" at best. For a live game that is.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:52 AM

I played it, taking the crossbook with my buddy. I held my own for about 5 hours in two separate sessions on Friday afternoon and Friday night, down $300, 7 bets. My buddy destroyed his tables and took 60 bets out of there.

My tables were both good. There were three (or so) pro's at each table who played differently than the fish did, but even they didn't impress me..... I felt I was playing as well as they were. The bad players were absolutely horrible. I'm always amazed when I move up how people play poker for "real" money and have no idea what they're doing.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:53 AM

If you can't play comfortably with your money one level above your normal game, you probably shouldn't play it with someone else's money.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 PM

If you do choice number one when seated at the same table, that honestly sounds like collusion to me. Even if you didn't deliberately cheat, you are not going to care whether he or you wins a pot, and will prefer he wins to another player and may play accordingly, even if not intentionally. Even choice two would be a little sketchy if seated together at the same table.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:56 PM

I dont think you are ready for this game.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:37 PM

1) this is not a B&M topic. Just because your going to play at the Borg doesnt mean its a B&M specific discussion, staking is a universal poker discussion regardless of limits/games/locations. In the future please keep non-B&M discussion in the appropriate forum, poker theory and beginners would both be good options.

2) In your history of 2+2 you have made only one post in the strategy forums. Spend your investment there rather than risking your friend's money. If I was in the staking business you would be a very poor risk, your "credit rating" would be the equivelent of someone who is on unemployment.