Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 05:38 AM

Default Live 3/6 Take a Stab at the Flop, Check Turn, Value Bet River

This seemed pretty obvious to me. I'm just curious if anyone plays it different. Suits are irrelevant.

Preflop:
Folded to me in the CO (atypical, as this table would see 8-9 players in on the flop at times), Hero raises with JTo. Button calls. The blinds both fold.

Flop: A22 rainbow
Hero bets. Button calls.

Turn: 2
Check. Check.

River: T
Hero bets.

Button could have a lot of hands that missed that flop, so the stab at the flop representing an ace seems rudimentary. Most people aren't going call the flop without an ace, a deuce, or a pocket pair, and they are unlikely to have a deuce.

The turn seems like an obvious check-fold. I don't think it is at all worth it to fire another barrel here, since my opponent most likely made a full house. I check doing my darnedest to make my opponent fear that I may be slowplaying an ace. Who fires another bullet on a non-deuce turn?

Since my opponent checks behind, I'm pretty sure he has a pocket pair that wasn't big enough to three-bet preflop. If I had been the button, I would probably have bet after my check if I were holding a medium pair. Does anyone disagree with that bet?

Given my read on my opponent, bet-fold seems to be the obvious line to take on the river.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Live 3/6 Take a Stab at the Flop, Check Turn, Value Bet River

All streets look good to me.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:48 PM

well played
Old 06-10-2007, 01:31 PM

nh

button is a donk for not stealing the turn
Old 06-10-2007, 03:43 PM

I like it. If it was only the bb who called I would have fired the turn again.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

button is a donk for not stealing the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Button played every street like a 6 year old girl.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it. If it was only the bb who called I would have fired the turn again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if I would do that, just because the bb is more likely to have hands containing a deuce in his range since a lot of people call too much in the bb. Also, almost no one folds a full house, so I'm not pushing someone off of 44 here by firing on the turn and river. A turn bet only makes sense if I am trying to not give a free card to hands like 54 or 43.

On the turn, I think that the button should check behind me with an ace hoping to induce a river bluff. Its a logical slowplaying spot since the pot is small and I am either drawing dead or chasing a two-outer. Does anyone disagree?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:32 PM

I play this exactly the same and for exactly the same reasons as you give...

...except I don't play pre-flop. Save this sort of preflop play for 10/20+, especially given your read on how incredibly loose the table is Preflop. Also, the river is an easy fold to a raise...but if you do get raised, make it look like a tough laydown by sighing a couple of times and thinking for about 5 seconds.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:46 PM

i would blow their minds with an open limp.

i don't really like raising in this spot. on the button i think it's close, but from the CO it's not as strong a play.

alot of the value of raising a hand like JTo from LP is winning the blinds uncontested or with a flop continuation bet. just because it happend that it randomly folded to you now doesn't mean you aren't going to frequently get called by the button, the small blind and the big blind. since the players are loose, they often won't give up easily, which makes bluffing/semibluffing less effective. it also requires more of an investment to take a pot down with nothing.

since our opponents are usually very bad, we should want to get into a hand with them. that makes open limping a reasonable option, IMO. this is something you probably couldn't do online, but in a live game i think you could acceptably open limp in LP if your opponents are pretty fishy.

i don't hate the raise. but it really doesn't carry the benefits it might in an online game, or one versus better opponents.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:51 PM

Even at loose-passive live 3/6, I often have the table image where I can get some respect for my raises and have a shot with a c-bet if I get a caller or two. I rarely find myself in situations like that, but I do try to make the most of it when I do. If I had said that my read on my opponents and their perception of me was such that I had a chance of taking this down preflop, that the big blind was some who could fold for one more bet, especially if I were the one raising, would that change your opinion?

It helped that the players I play against usually don't check-raise and often bet out if they flop top pair (unless the flop is ace high), so in those rare two- and three-handed post-flop situations with position, the times when I choose to make continuation bluffs and occasional turn follow-ups almost always work.