Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-27-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Cardinals kick field goal instead of going for TD, WTF!!!!

With 1 second left in the game the Cardinals elect to kick a field goal from the half yard line to tie the game instead of going for the TD.

?????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????

How the [censored] do these coaches get paid >>> 3 mil a year to make some of the absolute worst decisions of all time.

Can they not hire a high school stat student to do the calculations for them.

Their scoring chance for inside the one must be around 70-80%, opposed to the exactly 50% they have in overtime. The coach is giving up .25 wins with one play. WTF!!!!

Can we organize a rally of sorts to inform the public of this highly sub-optimal play.

AHHHHHHH
Old 11-27-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Cardinals kick field goal instead of going for TD, WTF!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
With 1 second left in the game the Cardinals elect to kick a field goal from the half yard line to tie the game instead of going for the TD.

[/ QUOTE ]
4 minutes left, down by 3, the Chiefs elected to go for it on 4th and 1 from the Oakland 23 yard line. They were stuffed and lost the game.

Don't these idiot coaches know that they should get the tie and play for the win later?

(I was just being facetious. I understand your point. To be fair to the Cards, twice this season, they've gone for the TD at the end of the first half even though they were in FG range. They succeeded both times:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay...7&week=REG7

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay...7&week=REG5
Old 11-27-2007, 04:24 PM

that's what the pundits will have you believe, anyway.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:28 PM

It's because they're afraid of getting criticized in public if they do anything that could lead to an immediate loss. As I was watching the game, I was thinking "The Cardinals should go for it here" but you are the only other person I've heard say this, and you can bet that if they'd gone for it and gotten stuffed, every armchair coach in America would be all over it.

To be fair they have a slightly better than 50% chance of winning in OT because they're a better team than the 49ers but it's obv nowhere near 70%.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:29 PM

not sure what the rule is but Monday night Miami got flagged for the illegal forward pass with 2 seconds left in the game.
I thought if PIT accepted the penalty then the clock would wind down 10 seconds and be the end of the game or something like that. The annoucers hinted that they thought it was the end of the game too.
Instead, PIT declined the penalty. So it became just a regular incomplete pass I believe which stopped the clock and gave MIA another chance.

Obviously it didn't make a difference to the outcome of the game but technically it could have. And if PIT was aware that accepting the penalty meant the end of the game vs. giving MIA one more chance then it's obvious they would have accepted it.

And if it did not result in the end of the game then I have no idea why they wouldn't accept the penalty to march them back 10 more yards or whatever.

Just seemed like a really strange finish there.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:30 PM

yeah this was the worst call I've seen in a long time
Old 11-27-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not sure what the rule is but Monday night Miami got flagged for the illegal forward pass with 2 seconds left in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wikipedia says the 10 second runoff doesn't occur for illegal forward pass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_rules
Old 11-27-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's because they're afraid of getting criticized in public if they do anything that could lead to an immediate loss. As I was watching the game, I was thinking "The Cardinals should go for it here" but you are the only other person I've heard say this, and you can bet that if they'd gone for it and gotten stuffed, every armchair coach in America would be all over it.

To be fair they have a slightly better than 50% chance of winning in OT because they're a better team than the 49ers but it's obv nowhere near 70%.

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't see the game or know about this but yeah, it's pretty damn obvious you should go for it there.
While there would be some reprecussions in they failed I do think some of the public is in love with the 'gutsy' play-calling. Some really stupid fans scream to "go for it!!!" on 4th and goal from the 6 when their team is up by 7 and silly stuff like that.

Above everything else, coaches want to give games and don't give a crap what the fans think of their play-calling.
I think a coach who actually understands the math there is not gonig to be talked out of going for it just because the fans might boo him.
They get booed all the time. They get booed when they screw up in their own end-zone to lose the game anyway.

I reeally don't think that some of the conservative play-calling is done to appease the fans and keep the criticism to a minimum. It's just how they've learned the game. And in many situations they are correct in their decision-making...but in stuff like this they have tendency to get it REALLY wrong.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wikipedia says the 10 second runoff doesn't occur for illegal forward pass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_rules

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, thanks.
Still wonder why they declined penalty though.
At least, I THINK they declined the penalty. I really can't remember for certain now.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:53 PM

But what was the point of Pittsburgh declining the penalty? I was very confused as there was zero benefit to doing so that I could think of.