Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Bonehead move on my part - was there any way out of it??

This is something that happened a long time ago in a live MTT at Showboat. I fully and 100% understand that I got myself into the situation by not paying enough attention, but I am just wondering if there was any way I coulda gotten out of it in case I find myself in a similar situation in the future. So here it is...

Showboat 11AM Tourney. About 2/3 of the field is gone and I am short (~10BB) on the cutoff. Folded to me and I push with rags to steal blinds. Button and SB fold. BB ponders for a moment and finally folds, and I expect the pot. Then the dealer turns to me and says "please turn over your hand sir." I'm thinking WTF?? cause everyone folded. Apparently someone in early position quietly moved all in and I was unaware of it. So anyway, I sheepishly flip over my 52 and see he has AK and I'm out. Such is life, and I know it is my own fault for not knowing the situation.

But, strictly on a rules basis, I am wondering if I had any recourse since I didn't know the other guy had pushed. I'm guessing not, since I said I was raising, but if I tried to limp (said "call") I coulda gotten out of it, correct?

P.S. As long as you actually answer my question as well, feel free to rip me for stupidity, thanks!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Bonehead move on my part - was there any way out of it??

I don't know what to say other than pay attention. In the cases you are not paying attention, just ask the dealer, "How much to me," and if she says a number that matches the big blind, you know it has been folded to you.

You cannot get out of this, I think yr action is definitely binding. Also, saying "call" indicates that you are calling the value, whatever it may be, of his all in.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:30 PM

Yup - once you say 'all in' or 'call' when it is your turn to act, you are bound to that exact action. Same with words like 'raise'.

You gotta be watching everything when you're in a hand, people will do things like this all the time.

KITN for the dealer not aggressively declaring the major action. It's his/her responsibility to help you be aware, but you're still liable for knowing, not them.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yup - once you say 'all in' or 'call' when it is your turn to act, you are bound to that exact action. Same with words like 'raise'.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. If you say one of these things and it is clear that you don't understand the action to you you can correct your action once the misunderstanding is cleared up. Here is an example given in Robert's because it is better than any example I could make up off the top of my head:
[ QUOTE ]
Example: On the end, a player puts a $500 chip into the pot and says softly, “Four hundred.” The opponent puts a $100 chip into the pot and says, “Call.” The bettor immediately shows the hand. The dealer says, “He bet four hundred.” The caller says, “Oh, I thought he bet a hundred.” In this case, the recommended ruling normally is that the bettor had an obligation to not show the hand when the amount put into the pot was obviously short, and the “call” can be retracted. Note that the character of each player can be a factor. (Unfortunately, situations can arise at big-bet poker that are not so clear-cut as this.)

[/ QUOTE ]

In the OP there is nothing he can do as it is in no way clear that he didn't understand the action and it actually appears he did understand the action.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:59 PM

First case you’re stuck

On the limp, if you verbally called and then moved forward and released an amount equal the bb, you’d have the recourse (quick and painlessly under a competent dealer) of retrieving your bet due to your obvious misunderstanding of the call amount.

Learn from it but don’t beat yourself up as it’s a frequent occurrence as tournament fatigue sets in. This time it cost you.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Learn from it but don’t beat yourself up as it’s a frequent occurrence as tournament fatigue sets in. This time it cost you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the responses. Like I said it was a long time ago, but I'm not beating myself up over it. Actually I laughed about it. But as I was leaving the table I heard some people talkin about how bad I play because of this so if I am lucky maybe someone will remember me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Something I read in another thread just brought it to mind and I figured I'd ask since I'm planning on goin back down for Txgiving weekend.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently someone in early position quietly moved all in and I was unaware of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

"quietly moved all in", as in "put all his chips in the middle without saying a word" or as in "whispered 'all-in' accompanied by a barely discernable hand motion but never put his chips in"?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:56 PM

I did something similar in one of my first live tourneys. I was trying a LP move and said "raise", not realizing that someone had entered (people were changing tables and they were coloring up, so the pile of chips on the table didn't register with me). I put out an amount, they said, "uh, not legal raise," I said, "uh, oops," and complied with a minraise. I figured there was no way they were going to let me take it back, so might as well run with it and hope to at least get others to fold.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 PM

He did put some chips in the middle right?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:13 PM

I made basically the exact same mistake in my first live tournament at Caesar's. There is no way out of it as far as I know.