FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Re: XP or Vista on new laptop?

[ QUOTE ]
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39...3700-10,00.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Windows Vista
Any operating system that provokes a campaign for its predecessor's reintroduction deserves to be classed as terrible technology. Any operating system that quietly has a downgrade-to- previous-edition option introduced for PC makers deserves to be classed as terrible technology. Any operating system that takes six years of development but is instantly hated by hordes of PC professionals and enthusiasts deserves to be classed as terrible technology.

Windows Vista conforms to all of the above. Its incompatibility with hardware, its obsessive requirement of human interaction to clear security dialogue box warnings and its abusive use of hated DRM, not to mention its general pointlessness as an upgrade, are just some examples of why this expensive operating system earns the final place in our terrible tech list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, LOL. NH Microsoft. So glad I bought my PC in January - one month before Vista hit shelves. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually going through the incredibly painstaking task of downgrading Vista to XP as we speak just because I hate Vista so much. It's much harder to do on a laptop than a desktop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck, you're going to need it. A close friend bought a nice Toshiba laptop recently, and I took on the nasty task of doing exactly that. It took at least 8 hours since Toshiba doesn't support XP anymore and had no drivers for the unit in question.

It took an amazing amount of work to track down the drivers, ranging from reading obscure forums, to downloading drivers of models with identical pieces, to editing actual .INI files (required for the ATI video driver).

In several cases it was a trial and error process, such as the video driver. For example, I found that I could use the latest ATI Catalyst Control Center, but not the driver, even edited to recognize his chipset, though the motherboard's South Bridge driver worked. I had to go back 3 versions until it accepted and worked the way it should. Eventually, I got it all running but it was far more work than I ever imagined.

So while I'm not saying it's not possible, if you are up against anything like I was: GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'll probably just load XP. it's only temporary anyway because as soon as PT3/Hud are available for Mac with a native copy, I'll be using Leopard exclusively.

Edit: thanks for the opinions guys

[/ QUOTE ]
nooo dont go to the dark mac side.

macs are the suck!
Old 11-27-2007, 01:28 PM

100% XP, unless you plan to play DirectX 10 games. There is no benefit for Vista outside of that, unless you like mostly useless add-ons/eye candy.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's too bad that everyone is struggling so much with vista. i think it is really a significant improvement over xp. i've had very few problems getting everything working with vista, and i would loathe going back to xp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, vista is a huge improvement and not just graphically. Sucks people are too stupid to figure out how to make it work because I couldn't imagine going back to XP ever at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too stupid? LOL. you joker. I think anyone can right click a file, run it as admin, change or disable themes etc. Its not hard to get something to work on vista your right. The point is you shouldnt have to do that to get a simple program to run. IE and FF crashed locked up and reported problems from microsofts own prblem centre. media player [censored] up and alot of the times when i closed programs it never shut down properly or encountered an error. I know many people on vista and they all have the same problems.

Vista is a huge improvement!can i ask why and how? The OS is much heavier then XP. no improvement performance wise. Maybe slightly more secure but i doubt that seeing as its a microsoft product and seeing as they are still finding loop holes in XP i doubt vista is better at all.

Graphic wise. Yeah vista has some nice touches when using aero theme for example you can preview windows and stuff. WOW!!!! does this have any advantages? no. even any use? not really. The layout of folders is better in vista.

XP 100% compatible with everything, vista isnt.
You need twice the amount of RAM alone to run vista then you do XP.

Failing to see any reason why vista is better then XP.

If you want something that works and works well XP

If you want to be flash and show your friends flashy new icons, layout buttons etc then vista.

I used Vista for months before reformatting back to XP. and theres no way im going back to vista unless im forced to.

If you really think vista is soooooooo much better just based on looks. then download the vista plug ins/ mods/skins to change theme, mouse cursor, folder views etc for XP. At least then you'll have the look of vista but the speed and performance of XP.