Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 10:24 PM

Default PT stats good or bad.

I have only had poker tracker a few month now. and i dont particularly play very much online, but i have played nearly 20k hands now, so i thought it was about time i reviewed my results.

if i am honest, i am not a good player, at all, but i enjoy the game so i want to improve. i have played 16k hands at $0.25/0.50 and won $460. is that what i should be aiming for or do i need to stay at this level a while longer before i move up?

also. the other 4k hands on my tracker, id rather not talk about, but... they are the times where i have been drunk or just generally not in the right frame of mind. i have sat down at $2.50/$5 and higher, and just wasted money. for this reason, after the 20k hands my tracker is at exactly even, which i am not at all happy about.

any advice or criticism is welcome and appreciated.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Re: PT stats good or bad.

Over the 16K hands it seems like you run at like 3.5ptBB/100, nothing amazing but honestly just fine. You are winning after all. However, at this level I really feel like you should be doing significantly better before moving up. I am at $50nl myself and have found in the few shots I have taken at the $100nl game that overall it is far more serious. After all, that is about the level where people start playing for a living.

As for your game, honestly you really just need to have super-solid basics in order to beat all the micro-stake levels. Nothing more, nothing less. Get TAG, use good table selection, et cetera. Pot-odds, implied odds, positional awareness, and so forth. As much as people say you should play the opponents and not the cards, playing your opponents at this level amounts to simply playing your cards better than your opponents. These are primarily 1st-level thinkers, and any HUD would reveal the minority that are 2nd-level thinkers (since you use PT I assume you also use a HUD) such that you can adjust accordingly. Read threads in microstakes forums religiously, read a few books on NL (and try to recognize what applies and what doesn't to micro-limit games), try to apply your learnings. Imo you can usually set-whore for huge profits, and you can never underestimate how often maniacs will stack off with as little as middle pocket-pairs and straight-draws (i.e. value-bet aggressively).

I guess that is all I have to say for now.

Oh yeah, don't get drunk and jump to $500nl. Those people are serious players. They live in the margin.