Default Re: Chicago suburbs

Downers Grove FTW
Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 PM

wow, i didnt realize so many people on here are in the chicago burbs
Old 09-06-2007, 10:02 PM

I'm from Lisle,

I hate Naperville because it is over-commercialized and the kids in the schools there are spoiled brats (like many that went to my school). It's kinda like living in a spin-off of the OC TV show (even though I have never watched it).

I'm a big fan of the Western Burbs. Downers Grove/Woodridge/Lisle are solid choices. To echo what someone else said, Bolingbrook and Plainfield also are really booming - you can get a nice place for a very reasonable price in a good neighborhood.

I had an internship downtown over the summer and commuted everyday via train. Express trains run 35-40 minutes each way from Lisle and there were rarely delays.

From my perspective, the Western burbs are a little less crowded than the NW burbs, so I would pick DuPage/Will Co. to live in.

Sidenote: It's cool to see that my hometown has been thrown around in discussion, usually when I say I'm from Lisle people have a weird look on their face and I have to say "It's near Naperville".
Old 09-06-2007, 10:06 PM

Ok, to prop Lisle more:

OP, Lisle has (according to your demands):

1) Some neighborhoods in Lisle are zoned for the Naperville school district for high school. Most kids go to North, but I believe you can petition for Central. Very good private school in Benet Academy, which is in Lisle. I'm sure the local grade/middle schools are stellar also.

2) Train commute from Lisle is 35-40 minutes via express trains. Lisle has express trains in the morning and evening rush about every 20 minutes.

3) Housing is very reasonably priced. I'm sure it is comparable to the other suburbs (not counting Naperville/Hinsdale/Clarendon Hills)
Old 09-06-2007, 10:08 PM

Arlington Heights FTW. Solid schools, two Metra stops and reasonably priced. Plus you got the ponies. I'm not biased or anything because I grew up there.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 PM

Ugh... just say read the 300k price range. You might be hard-pressed to find that in AH.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh... just say read the 300k price range. You might be hard-pressed to find that in AH.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the same in all of the reasonably close to the city northern suburbs. I can't think of a single family home in the Northbrook, Glenview, Winnetka, etc. area that sells for close to 300k. If you're a few years away from having kids, perhaps move to a less expensive area and then move to the northern suburbs when they're old enough to attend school as the northern suburbs have the best school districts in the state (wealth=good schools).
Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 PM

we should probably get a 2p2 Chicago burbs happy hour going somewhere
Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 PM

Batavia has good schools also and it's very close to I88, maybe an hour from the city. I've made the trip in 40 minutes with no traffic.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A tier below Glenview, I would look into Morton Grove or Skokie. These have good location (more central), should fit in your budget nicely, and have good school districts (not quite as strong as the Glenbrooks, but still good).

Let me know if you have any more questions.

-bigbootch

[/ QUOTE ]

he could also move to park ridge and be able to be in the maine south district. Park Ridge is fairly affordable and Maine South is an excellent school.

As for his price range, I'm sure he can find something in that range in glenview, especially over by shermer rd.

I live in wilmette right now and grew up here, so I also know the area really well