Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Fitness Test: Optimal Training?

So I have a fitness test to take in 8 days - if I fail, I can take it again a month later. The plan is to take it the first time, even though I'm not in the greatest of shape at the moment. The course outline is as follows:

"Circuit activities to the completion of the fight sequence must be completed within 4 minutes, 45 seconds.

The circuit starts at Station 1, with a 6 meter run, a turn around the first marker, a 3 meter run and a leap over a 6 foot mat. Another turn around the second marker and a 6 meter run leads to a 6 step stair obstacle with stairs going both up and down. 6 more meters take you to the far end of the circuit where you make a 180 degree turn around the third marker and double back – up and down the stairs, 6 meters to the 4th marker, make the turn and then head for the chair and stick obstacles. The stick is 18 inches off the floor and you must hurdle this obstacle. Run 3 meters and clear another one identical to it. This leads you to the 5th marker, another turn and 6 meters back to your start marker.

After doing 6 of these laps, you will be timed as you head for Station 2, the push-pull apparatus. Here you must push, then pull 80 pounds of resistance back and forth 3 times before you head for Station 3.

At Station 3, the squat thrust and stand and rail vault requires you to alternate with push-ups and sit-ups 5 times, vaulting a 3-foot rail between each.

This completes the timed portion of the circuit and the instructor will take your pulse. If you have completed the circuit in no more than 4 minutes, 45 seconds you will take a short pause, then walk 3 meters to Station 4, the torso sack carry. Here you lift a 100 pound weight, carry it 7 and a half meters to the end marker, make a 180 degree turn, and double back with it to the starting mat to complete the 15 meter walk."

Here's a diagram:

What I'm looking for is some sort of routine that will give me the best chance of passing this thing, both for the test in 8 days and, if that fails, a month after that.

I understand that 8 days (and even a month and 8 days) isn't optimal time for this sort of training, but any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Fitness Test: Optimal Training?

also, I'm 6 foot 2 and god knows how heavy right now - not obese but still sporting a little ponch
Old 10-10-2007, 02:28 PM

Fitness is specific. I would suggest simply doing this test, then doing it backwards. In 8 days all you can do is a little technique work and get a feeling that this isn't so bad.

In a month you could improve your performances. The more you need to pass the more your routine should simply consist of the required exercises or as close as you can get.

But yeah, in 8 days? I would do the test circuit tomorrow, then a day off then do it (both times hard out), then once more two days before the test but really just focus on technique and staying loose.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:30 PM

for what it's worth, I'll only have access to the apparatus on those 2 specific days
Old 10-10-2007, 03:33 PM

really specific advice: deadlift and run lots of sprints.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 PM

What is this for? Looks like a fun test.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 PM

pre-police test
Old 10-10-2007, 06:25 PM

train by doing everything in the test. Repeat. Do you know the pass/fail % for this test?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:56 PM

hahah this looks really fun
Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 AM

morning: moderate 30 min run, situps/push ups, deadlifts
evening: sprints

sound ok?