Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Managing your bankroll

I was wondering how mid stakes players managed their bankroll. Im assuming if you have a bankroll to play nl400...your not going to leave double that online, or do you?
Do you pull it out and have a bank account earmarked for poker?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Managing your bankroll

I don't play at those stakes, but I'm sure it depends on how many tables you play. If you 12-table, keeping 20xBI is probably the minimum.

In my case, I only 4-table, so keeping 10xBI seems more than enough, as long as I'm comfortable being able to reload. At the moment, eChecks on stars seems to be reliable again to deposit, so I'm keeping less online than I used to. I have a poker bank acct, because I like to keep it separate.

At higher stakes, it seems foolish not to earn some interest on your bankroll, as long as it's not tied up when you need it to play.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:56 PM

i currently have about 120 buyins at 1/2, cause i move up only when i feel like im destroying a limit, and i have a very small cost of living. after rent, food, and alcohol, i dont really have to pay anything cause student loans dont start collecting interest until like 6 months after i graduate. and the money im losing by not earning like 4.5% interest at my savings account (i use ING) is overshadowed by the fact that i NEVER have to worry about not only going broke, but i never have to worry about having to drop down in limits when i run bad (which is always).

cliff notes: im a bankroll nit
Old 10-26-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but i never have to worry about having to drop down in limits when i run bad (which is always).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mkind
Old 10-26-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but i never have to worry about having to drop down in limits when i run bad (which is always).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mkind

[/ QUOTE ]

?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:20 PM

hi mkind
Old 10-26-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and the money im losing by not earning like 4.5% interest at my savings account (i use ING) is overshadowed by the fact that i NEVER have to worry about not only going broke, but i never have to worry about having to drop down in limits when i run bad (which is always).

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people seem to do this. You have 24 dimes just sitting there earning nothing. Even if you kept 40 buy-ins online, you could have 16 dimes in your account earning interest, which is about $60/month. Is keeping the extra buy-ins worth losing $120/month? Or, put another way, would you pay $60/month to have some extra bankroll cushion?

Even if you're playing 50NL on a 40 buy-in bankroll (4k), you should get an account and start earning interest on some of it. It's a good practice to get into, it's free money, and savings accounts are pretty liquid anyway. Avoid bonds, CDs, etc.

I personally use Etrade savings, which gives 5%, and takes about 2-3 days to transfer back into a checking acct. if I need cash.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:52 PM

tks pokerfink. im surprised more people dont have your idea. even if part of your bankroll is in another account, it doesnt mean you will go broke sooner. Also, id think it might make you play a little safer. I'd like to get to a point where my poker winnings are earning me money even when im not playing. mane thats a pipe dream, we'll see.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:06 PM

I keep about 20 buy-ins of cash at my local cardroom in a player's account.

I used to keep my bankroll in a bank, but my $600/day ATM limit made taking a couple of thousand dollars in and out a couple of times each week a pain. So then I kept my bankroll at home until I got tired of stashing stacks of money all over the house like that guy in rounders (only my stacks were shorter than his were).

So, finally I got an account. If you play live regularly, then it's the only way to go, IMO. I never did like going to and from my car with over a thousand in cash in my pocket.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:17 PM

What do you do with the excess then? You wouldnt need 30 buy ins?