Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Driving the Ball 280 to 300.....Really???

ha...guy starts a thread about people lying about their drives. This attracts a bunch of people lying about their drives.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ha...guy starts a thread about people lying about their drives. This attracts a bunch of people lying about their drives.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not joking, I think the following is my favorite so far...

[ QUOTE ]
Anything I hit reasonably solid goes c~.300.

If you were to ask me why I can hit it pretty far I'd have to answer that im pretty big, flexible, have decent fundamentals... and pretty much just try to kill it every time.

FWIW 2 good friends of mine... 1 ex Walker Cup, one now Challenge Tour/ EPGA who both hit it further than their respective tour averages probably hit it c.10-15 past me (but they generally know where its going).

[/ QUOTE ]
1, if he makes contact he hits it 300+
2, his regular playing partners outdrive him 10-15 yards
3, these two prove statistics wrong as they actually hit it farther than their measured averages

I've never met a player that averages 280+ that brags about how far they hit it.

BO
Old 10-03-2007, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not joking, I think the following is my favorite so far...

[ QUOTE ]
Anything I hit reasonably solid goes c~.300.

If you were to ask me why I can hit it pretty far I'd have to answer that im pretty big, flexible, have decent fundamentals... and pretty much just try to kill it every time.

FWIW 2 good friends of mine... 1 ex Walker Cup, one now Challenge Tour/ EPGA who both hit it further than their respective tour averages probably hit it c.10-15 past me (but they generally know where its going).

[/ QUOTE ]
1, if he makes contact he hits it 300+
2, his regular playing partners outdrive him 10-15 yards
3, these two prove statistics wrong as they actually hit it farther than their measured averages

I've never met a player that averages 280+ that brags about how far they hit it.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, you should be a tabloid journalist if you can twist stuff like that.

Couple of points..

1. 'Solid contact' definately does not mean 'contact'

2. They arent regular playing partners.. they are tour pros of varying description. And only mentioned because in all honesty they are the only people I know personally that can consistently knock it past me.

3. The title asked '300 yards.. really''. I said yes, I thought so, and tried to explain the factors that I think enable me to do it reasonably consistently

4. Believe me its not a brag, I'd rather hit it -40 yards and hit a damm sight more fairways.

That said, if there was anyway to propbet this I would be be extremely interested.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:09 AM

I do not consider myself very long off the tee, 225-250 on average, if I really get into one on a downhill hole maybe 285 and I will either out drive or be right with most of the people I play with. I once won a bunch of money off of a guy who claimed to "average 300 yards" by just betting I would out drive him on two of the four par fives.

I will admit I like to play with these guys when they try and carry a creek 250 yards away.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 AM

This thread is convincing me I drive it a lot shorter than I think.

I'm 5'11" 150 and for whatever reason, I can't really hit with any consistency unless I swing out of my ass. My friends often comment on how hard I swing, but when I try to slow my club speed down I end up being disasterously inconsistent.

I found a driver a few years back that I could hit really well, and actually gets a pretty consistent (slight) draw. Most of my drives seem to be in the 240-270 range, but occationally they get as high as 280 or 290. Last week I was like 10 yards off the green on a posted 325 par-4... flat hole but obviously lots of roll still.

Basically I think for someone to drive (not carry) 280-300 with some consistency isn't that far fetched, but it would be impressive.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:19 PM

I've already suggested a prop bet...including the "carry it 300 on avg", but no takers. People just like to talk. More specifically, bring down other people.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've already suggested a prop bet...including the "carry it 300 on avg", but no takers. People just like to talk. More specifically, bring down other people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Real ballsy tough guy I've already suggested a golf prop bet over the internet. How's about we bet that I break par the next time I play by myself?

Nobody's going to prove anything over the internet, but nobody is going to believe you CARRY it 300 yards on AVERAGE.

Heck, I think I'm going to start bragging I average 6 birdies a round. On 7000+ yard courses. In winter. With hickory shafts. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Tommy Flanagan
Old 10-03-2007, 04:39 PM

Lol...it's called witnesses, video, and escrow. nihan sir.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 PM

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_114373184

and interesting study, including distance exageration
Old 10-03-2007, 10:26 PM

I'm not sure why some people are getting so worked up about other people claiming that they average 280+ off the tee. Some people do. It's not that big a deal. And you don't even have to be a great golfer to do so.

I play regularly with lots of better golfers than me, but none are longer. Conversely, I only play with 2 guys longer than I am, but I'm better than both. Whatever than means.