Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Ask Misfire anything about the LSAT/Law School Admissions

[ QUOTE ]
do these pre-law societies and extra-curriculars really have any weight in law-school admissions? What about legacy considerations (I had a cousin that went to Harvard...I am quite sure this doesn't mean shi*).

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-law societies don't help much that I know of, except to show that you actually do things extracurricularly. Pre-law and poli-sci majors, paralegals, etc. aren't that impressive (mostly because they're so many of them applying). What makes you stand out?

I'm not sure if cousins count for legacy considerations ( I doubt it), and most law schools only care about legacy if the family memeber went to the law school itself. Call the school.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:57 PM

I teach for Kaplan now part-time planning on enrolling in law school this fall, and the audition was exactly what you describe. It really didn't matter what you presented; they just wanted to see you be comfortable in front of an unfamiliar group.

From my experience, we do train in groups that can contain people seeking to teach different tests (LSAT, GMAT, GRE, etc.), but it sounds like our experiences were pretty similar in that most of the time consisted of us giving "teach backs" to demonstrate our handling of the material and techniques. The hours and failure rate also sound about right.

I don't want it to sound like I'm stumping for Kaplan here, but I also definitely recommend the work if you can hack it (Kaplan or TPR)- good money and really flexible hours. Feel free to PM w/ questions.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, got an interview with KAPLAN for March 8. What do they pay approximately? Anything else about them I should know?

[/ QUOTE ]

They started me at $20/hr. You'll learn everything you need to know once you pass the interview.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I teach for Kaplan now part-time planning on enrolling in law school this fall, and the audition was exactly what you describe. It really didn't matter what you presented; they just wanted to see you be comfortable in front of an unfamiliar group.

From my experience, we do train in groups that can contain people seeking to teach different tests (LSAT, GMAT, GRE, etc.), but it sounds like our experiences were pretty similar in that most of the time consisted of us giving "teach backs" to demonstrate our handling of the material and techniques. The hours and failure rate also sound about right.

I don't want it to sound like I'm stumping for Kaplan here, but I also definitely recommend the work if you can hack it (Kaplan or TPR)- good money and really flexible hours. Feel free to PM w/ questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it's great PT work wherever you go. TPR separates all the subjects in training, so LSAT training is all LSAT all the time. I'm glad we did that because I had not taken a course before. If they had tried to squeeze in other subjects, I would have been SOL. For someone who has taken a class or read all the Kaplan material, it's probably not so bad.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:06 PM

Schael, does Kaplan have different levels of training? I'm about to start master training for TPR.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:32 PM

Misfire, do you suggest, study study study, take practice tests, then take a class? and take the LSAT

or take a class, study study study, practice tests, then LSAT?

Or class, study study study, practice tests, class, LSAT?

I'm trying to get in at USC, or UCLA if that matters, but would happily just stay at Ohio State and go there since it will be significantly cheaper
Old 09-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Since this got bumped, my internet far is too unreliable to play poker(plan A for sidemonies), could one of you guys go into more detail with the audition/interview process?

I'm definitely going to want a part time job next semester and my interest is piqued by the flexible hours/good money.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since this got bumped, my internet far is too unreliable to play poker(plan A for sidemonies), could one of you guys go into more detail with the audition/interview process?

I'm definitely going to want a part time job next semester and my interest is piqued by the flexible hours/good money.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not just get better/different internet connection?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:39 PM

Only one company serves my area and my building isn't in good enough EVDO coverage to do it through a cell data plan(I've tested this theory through using my phone as a modem).
Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Incidently, what was your Undergrad, I think you've said it on here before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to Belmont, which nobody has heard of. For the money I should have gone across the street to Vandy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a couple friends that are over at Belmont. Are you from TN?