Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 02:06 PM

Default SSNL - mid-pocket pair play

This post might be leaning towards theory a little but I'm interested to know what your favored response to this situation is:

100bb effective stacks and villain is either unknown to you or is a fairly middle of the road sort of player.

Villain raises and you call with a PP in the range of 55-99.

The flop contains an ace-to-jack as the high card but your PP is effectively 2nd pair. For example, you hold 77 and the flop is 2,3,K.

Villain makes a standard continuation bet.

What is your most likely response when:

1. In position
2. Out of position

Remember you don't specifically know villains game yet and can't accurately put him on a hand range. You consider his opening range is relatively wide and gets a little wider the closer he is to the button. You also expect him to c-bet this flop nearly every time whether he's hit or not.

Also what is your plan for the hand generally. For example if you call the flop and the turn bricks a reasonable range for villain would you call another barrel? Do you consider a more aggressive line such as leading the flop or flop+turn? Do you turn your hand into a bluff by raising or c/raising? Do you treat the situation as a set-mining situation and fold waiting for the next spot?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: SSNL - mid-pocket pair play

The wider i think hes opening range is the less likely im going to call with a small/medium pp.

Again the wider I think hes range is the more often im going to call or reraise the flop.

Vs fx an UTG raiser im probably just setmining and vs a CO raise im putting up more resistance.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:13 PM

Does anyone think calling the flop bet is a spew against a relatively undefined range? I don't think it is but I do think you have to be willing to look up a 2nd barrel a reasonable proportion of the time if you think villain has double barrel capabilities and the turn wasn't too likely to have hit their range.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:14 AM

If you don't know much about his preflop range, then you really can't say anything about if he is capable of firing a 2nd barrel or not. I like to watch him play some hands before I start calling him down or force him out - I'm trying to make as few moves as possible without reads [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I agree with Bookworm though, against an early raiser I would setmine - and vs a late raiser I often reraise preflop (mostly when I'm in the blinds).