Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NEW YORK (AP) - Mariano Rivera isn't happy that Joe Torre might be out as manager of the New York Yankees and said the team's decision will be factored into whether he returns.

"I don't feel good about it," Rivera said Wednesday, two days after the Yankees were eliminated from the playoffs. "I don't see why they're even thinking (about letting Torre go). I wish he's back, definitely. If you ask me what I would want, I want him back."

Rivera's contract also is expiring and he is eligible to become a free agent. He said whether Torre returns will help determine whether he remains with the Yankees.

"It might do a lot of it," he said. "I mean, I've been with Joe for so many years, and the kind of person he has been for me and for my teammates. It's been great. The thing is that I don't see why they have to put him in this position."

Rivera, who turns 38 next month, plans to speak with Torre soon. The pitcher, regarded by many as baseball's greatest closer, wanted to negotiate an extension during spring training, but the Yankees decided to delay talks until after the season. He made $10.5 million.

"I'm going to be open to hear all offers," said Rivera, who wants a multiyear contract. "The Yankees had the opportunity but didn't do nothing with it."

Asked if the Yankees would be his first choice regardless of the decision on Torre, he responded: "Right now, I can't tell you that."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...who could we hire that is beloved by both the players on the team and yankee fans....and knows the team/players well
Old 10-10-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...who could we hire that is beloved by both the players on the team and yankee fans....and knows the team/players well

[/ QUOTE ]
Think the Yanks might sign Torre for one more in order to sign Mo, Posada, etc for more than one? Seems they have to st least consider it.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 PM

The Yankees, essentially, need a solution at catcher for 4-5 years... if they believe Montero is the real deal. Posada can't really be good for more than 2 more years... what do you do then? Get someone to patch it up for another 2-3 years? What if Montero fizzles?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 PM

Can they buy out the rest of Giambi's contract? I feel like I heard that somewhere that they can buy him out for like 5 million, which is definitely worth it.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Yankees, essentially, need a solution at catcher for 4-5 years... if they believe Montero is the real deal. Posada can't really be good for more than 2 more years... what do you do then? Get someone to patch it up for another 2-3 years? What if Montero fizzles?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. That's exactly what you do. Because there's no alternative - it's not like catchers are known for aging well, and who are the Yankees going to trade for? What kind of sense does that make to deal for a catcher when the best one in the league last year is available?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:52 PM

I just have a sinking feeling Posada might get a 4 year contract. I agree with signing him for 2 years... but no more than that.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just have a sinking feeling Posada might get a 4 year contract. I agree with signing him for 2 years... but no more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd bet 25-1 against that happening.

it's going to be at least 3. i'm hoping for 3 with a team option on the 4th.

again even if posada hits .230/.310/.430 - that puts him at about average for catchers.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Swapping A-Rod for Betemit in 2007 would be enough to drop the Yankees to the range of Boston/Detroit.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. This is not taking into factor any of the players on the Red Sox or Tigers (or other teams), and their regression/progression.

[ QUOTE ]

And if in addition Posada had hit like a typical catcher (well below 100 OPS+) the Yankees offense would have probably been barely above average.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he didn't. You can do this for any player, but it doesn't make much sense. Sure, Posada had a career year that he surely will never have again, but he still did have that year. If Giambi was healthy and played 140 games with a .900+ OPS like he did the previous two years, their offense would have been even better. If Magglio Ordonez hit like a normal RF, I'm pretty sure the Tigers' lineup would have been slightly diminished. It works both ways for every team.

[ QUOTE ]

Posada is almost certain to decline substantially

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm presuming you are basing this on the normal catcher's regression with age. Posada cannot be characterized with the normal catcher due to the fact that he was a middle infielder his entire life until the age of 23-24. Torre has also done a good job throughout the years giving Posada considerable rest. As I said before, most likely he won't put up near the stats he did this year, but take into account that the wear and tear on his body is substantially less than the typical catcher.

[ QUOTE ]

Other aging risks include Abreu, Matsui, Damon, & Jeter, so the offense has the potential to fall off a cliff

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. Since you used Boston I will as well. Red Sox aging risks include Manny, Ortiz, Lowell (if he returns), Varitek (even more), and JD Drew.

[ QUOTE ]

Matsui. He's always been above average, was still above average in 07, but he's getting old and you can't expect more than average.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Tigers were your other example used. Magglio Ordonez, as I stated before, had an unreal year just like Posada. Sheffield is ancient. Polanco and Guillen are both getting old as well.

[ QUOTE ]

Giambi. In 07 he was below average hitter for 1B and a lousy defender. He might actually have been an average full time DH given the dregs that usually get trotted out there in the AL. He could easily rebound to be above average again or fall off a cliff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said this previously, but I'll say it again.

2005 - 139 G .440 OBP .535 SLG
2006 - 139 G .413 OBP .558 SLG

As you said, he could rebound to above average again, or he could not. He is also getting pretty old (37 next year), but to automatically characterize him as a below average hitter IF healthy is not right.

Thank you for taking the time to provide the stats for all these guys, but I think in order to have a great idea of how their lineup will stack up against others, this type of data should be compiled for the other teams as well. Unfortunately, I do not have the subscriptions to do this.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
to act as if the yankees can't put together a deal for a catcher is crazy....melky plus matsui (pay for alot of his deal) for a catcher could be one example

sign aaron rowand... our defense would be much improved

[/ QUOTE ]

why would anyone do that?

seriously. matsui is a terrible fielder and an average DH - who wants him? and cabrera is a league average CF and below average corner outfielder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention Matsui has a full no-trade clause.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DesertCat:

I believe you switched those - Cabrera's range is subpar and Rowand's range is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you basing that on? I don't know a heck of a lot about defensive metrics, but what I've seen seems to indicate that Melky is good or very good.