Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Hand Reading - Starting Hand Ranges

I have a general question about hand reading and starting hand ranges for different opponents.

I think doing a better job of hand reading if probably the area I need to improve the most. To start improving I've been trying to do a better job of starting with a range and narrowing it as I go.

My general question is what do people use for ranges for people with different VPIPs/PFRs? I started with going into Poker Stove and basically defining the hand ranges for the top 5%, 10% 15% etc. It seems to work well, but I'm wondering if it is optimal. Do players that are loose and play 30% of their hands really choose the top 30%? Or do they really go after something like suited connectors or something even if it isn't the top 30%?

Just curious how others define those ranges. I'm sure eventually it becomes more natural (kind of like graduating from a starting hand chart to playing without the "training wheels), but start out with a defined set of hands for a certain vpip or pfr seems like the easiest way to start.