Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Hydrogenated Oil

So I moved in with some new housemates a few months ago, and they refuse to eat anything with Hydrogenated Oil in it. As they are smart people, I figured it was worth looking into, and the results were a little frightening.

Hydrogenation is "the process of heating an oil and passing hydrogen bubbles through it. The fatty acids in the oil then acquire some of the hydrogen, which makes it more dense. If you fully hydrogenate, you create a solid (a fat) out of the oil. But if you stop part way, you a semi-solid partially hydrogenated oil that has a consistency like butter, only it's a lot cheaper."

It's essentially a cheap substitute that adds no flavor, but saves $ on the bottom line of companies who use it at great cost to the consumer. Hydrogenation is the process which turns many not-so-bad fats into the trans fats that are highly correlated with heart disease, diabetes, and other things which will have you meeting your maker a little sooner.

Many of these companies aren't necessarily at fault, and continue to produce products with these substances not knowing how harmful they can be. I am by no means an expert, but after seeing the "trans fat" thread, I figured some people might find it interesting. I personally don't go crazy over it(i won't ask in restaurants or anything), but I will check the labels in the grocery store and simply choose the option that doesn't include partially hydrogenated oils. At the very least, I think it'd be worth it for most people to check out one or two of these links and form an opinion of their own if they cared enough to do so.

http://www.treelight.com/health/nutr...natedOils.html
http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/cho...a/Transfat.htm
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html

The first 2 links are the most specific, the last one is general and discusses the impact of all different kinds of fats on your health.
-James
Old 01-04-2007, 03:21 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: Hydrogenated Oil

the way they make fat more dense is downright scary imo, seeing as the last thing people need are more dense fats. i try to avoid transfats pretty much all the time.

rj
Old 01-04-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I will check the labels in the grocery store and simply choose the option that doesn't include partially hydrogenated oils.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you can CHOOSE what you want to eat, instead of having someone FORCE things you don't want out of the market?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:25 PM

James, I didn't know anything about this stuff until my gf told me a couple years ago. Several stores like Whole Foods and I believe Trader Joe's do not stock anything with hydrogenated oils.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the way they make fat more dense is downright scary imo, seeing as the last thing people need are more dense fats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people prefer cookies that aren't in liquid form.

I know what you're saying, but this isn't an issue of "them" trying to make unhealthy food. It's an issue of identifying a really unhealthy and common practice and eliminating it before it becomes so ingrained in people's lifestyles and the economy that you can't get rid of it no matter how badly you want to (like cigs, for example).
Old 01-04-2007, 03:30 PM

Yeah, this seems like a pretty good thing to shy away from. Where possible, I also try to find myself staying away from things that have corn syrup in them. It works its way into lots of places that you might not guess at first; I was pretty surprised to notice it as one of the primary ingredients in canned tomatoes, unless you're specifically picking to avoid it.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this seems like a pretty good thing to shy away from. Where possible, I also try to find myself staying away from things that have corn syrup in them. It works its way into lots of places that you might not guess at first; I was pretty surprised to notice it as one of the primary ingredients in canned tomatoes, unless you're specifically picking to avoid it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've been reading about that as well - it is in sooo much [censored] that I wonder how realistic it will be for me, though.

James
Old 01-04-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but I will check the labels in the grocery store and simply choose the option that doesn't include partially hydrogenated oils.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you can CHOOSE what you want to eat, instead of having someone FORCE things you don't want out of the market?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

seriously though, it's probably a good idea to eliminate as many trans fats out of your diets as you can if you are at all concerned about your health, which it seems you are. it's nice to see someone doing this on their own and without being made to.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've been reading about that as well - it is in sooo much [censored] that I wonder how realistic it will be for me, though.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not unrealistic at all to almost completely eliminate trans fat and HFCS from your diet. You have to get into the habit of reading labels on everything you buy.

There isn't anything in my fridge or pantry right now that has either trans fat or HFCS. I pay a little more, but my health is much more important than saving 25 cents on a box of cookies.

I don't eat fast food. If you want to quit eating crap, it's much easier if you learn how to cook well. When you can make good food yourself, fast food and frozen microwavable crap is much less tempting.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:49 PM

I no longer eat any trans fat RB, but I still intake HFCS I am sure. It is in things like bread....wtf. (not my current bread though).

How hard was it to remove the HFCS your diet?