Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Re: STAPLE DISHES: EGGS

one tip i learned back in college was use milk for scrambled eggs, and cold water for omelettes. using water results in a fluffier consistency than milk, which makes for a good omelette.

and yes, adding cream cheese makes for pretty amazing eggs, but it's bordering on overkill.

oh, and also, no pics available, but another great tip i learned is the hash-brown omelette. get some oil or butter heated up and make a thin layer of shredded potato at the bottom of the pan. once they are starting to brown up, dump in your eggs and continue making the omelette as you normally would. the potatoes add a crunchy, delicious outer layer to the omelette.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one of my favorite ways to make eggs is:
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1 pkg saltines

crush the saltines up until they are like a powder, and whisk the milk, eggs and saltines in a bowl and let it stand for 10 minutes or so. cook in a saute pan, covered over low heat, stirring occasionally. these are awesome after a night of drinking!

I find that in general, eggs need to be cooked slowly over very low heat. anytime I am in a hurry and cook them over high heat they turn out dry and bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

by one pkg of saltines do you just mean 2 crackers, like one of those little ones you get with soup?

how does this taste?

definitely need to cook over low heat, on a preheated pan, i always find if you rush it they get rubbery.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are making scrambled eggs mix a small amount of milk into the eggs when you scramble them. It makes the eggs fluffier and taste better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I add a lot of milk. It makes them really fluffy and keeps them from getting burnt (I suck at cooking).

My grandmother uses water instead of milk, and her scrambled eggs are by far the best in the world. Whenever I try this it doesn't work though.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:33 AM

turnip, Matzo brei.

All, Shrimp with eggs.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 AM

about 20 saltines. daver, this is the southern version of matzoh brei!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:36 PM

just tried OP's reciepe it was pretty good. Luckily I had baby spinach in the fridge. It was the first time I tried spinach with eggs and it goes very well especially with a hint of BBQ sauce and some pepper. Thanks OP
Old 05-07-2007, 06:57 PM

Someone do another Staple dishes thread but this time do CHICKEN
Old 05-07-2007, 07:35 PM

Ive always added milk to scrambled eggs, but my grandma who makes the best ones says to use half and half or cream. i add salt and pepper aftwards.

My staple that I try and make a lot:

steamed asparagus, finely chopped, add to eggs that have been whipped ina bowl, i use about 2.5 or 3 stalks for every egg, throw in some minced garlic, salt and pepper, and then take italian breadcrumb, and slow add while mixing everything, until it "binds" everything and its a little thicker. fry up patties in a sautee pan coated with olive oil
Old 05-07-2007, 09:51 PM

adding too much milk will make them moist and wet yes? b/c I usually add 2-3oz of milk to 1.5-2 eggs. Usually if I go over to say half a cup, the egg becomes all wet.

Also, I too believe adding milk ii super standard. Although I have done both, I feel I get more nutrition if I add milk.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 PM

I use milk, and I have been told by many my eggs are [censored] awesome. I only recently discovered tabasco sauce for eggs, which takes them to a whole new level. Also gonna try the tomatoes and hashbrown suggestions. Both sound awesome.

And if you haven't tried lobster with your eggs you are missing out.