Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Sleeping with People

Yeah, haha. OK get over it for a moment please. But seriously. I have this problem where it's extremely difficult for me to get a good night's sleep with someone else in the bed. When I'm single, it's usually not too big a deal because if I'm at her place I can just throw my clothes on and leave any time I want. If she stays over at my place, I just chalk up a bad night's sleep as the price of getting laid.

But when I am in a relationship, I have to get used to more and more nights spent with someone else crowding the bed. This sucks for me. I sleep in the fetal position with my knees way out, which makes it hard for any sort of spooning, and if I face away, she always ends up inching closer and closer until I am about to fall off. I always seem to have girlfriends who find a way to take up the whole queen-size bed even if they are 5'2 and 110. I'm 6'3. Not comfy.

I'm sure others have this problem, right? What do you guys do about it? I like having company, and when I'm in a relationship it's obviously nice to sleep over with a girl. But I still toss and turn half the night and walk around groggy all day. I'm just very picky about sleeping conditions -- I love sleeping and there are only a couple positions I find really comfortable for the long run.

I suppose a king-size bed would alleviate some small concerns, but even still that doesn't fix the spooning problem. I'm going to have to get used to this, but if it hasn't happened yet, when will it? I can't just tell a girl to go hit the couch or go home. And even if I try to push her away she's too out cold to budge. Of course I'm not just going to grab her and throw her off to the other side of the bed.

Today I am struggling to make it through the work day because I was up all night unable to get enough pillow and sheet to get comfy, or enough leg room with this damn chick sprawled out all over the place. (Believe me, I know at times this is a "good" problem to have and I'm not complaining about that part of it). My heavy-lidded eyes are wondering how others cope with this.

El Diablo, if you feel this query deserves more juvenile responses, go ahead and move the thread to OOT.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Sleeping with People

Im with you, I cant stand it, I couldnt imagine having to be in a relationship. I plan on doing what my dad does and just sleep on teh couch when I have to deal with the problem.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:58 PM

take a chill pill.

fwiw, definitely get a king sized bed.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:10 PM

I would suggest being up front about the problem. I pretty much have to be, because I have Restless Leg Syndrome, and sleeping next to me means you get kicked, as well as nobody sleeping well. So far people have been reasonable about it, and nobody wants to get kicked while they're trying to sleep. They may be less likely to if the consequence is just you getting bad sleep, though.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
take a chill pill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean this literally. I don't think it's a good idea to pop like Soma or Valium or even an over-the-counter sleeping pill every night I have a girl over.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
take a chill pill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean this literally. I don't think it's a good idea to pop like Soma or Valium or even an over-the-counter sleeping pill every night I have a girl over.

[/ QUOTE ]

glass of wine and melatonin works too
Old 05-01-2007, 08:26 PM

pj,

Consider trying to learn to sleep on your back with your arm trapped underneath her neck.

This way you can spoon with her near the side of the bed and hold her while she falls asleep (note that your arm must be in the neck region, not completely trapped under her body), then you can roll over and have some distance in between with your arm serving as the "I'm still right there" indicator. If you remove the arm, even fully asleep, she will find her way back directly next to you.

With good arm placement, this will even allow you to sleep on your side while maintaining a little space between you.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:36 PM

I tried this exact move and it failed. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2007, 08:48 PM

I'm giant sized myself and i hate that crowded feeling. You might want to get another queen mattress and boxspring, put them right next to your current queen bed, and then flip them 90 degrees. so you have one giant bed with a crack down the middle near your hips.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm giant sized myself and i hate that crowded feeling. You might want to get another queen mattress and boxspring, put them right next to your current queen bed, and then flip them 90 degrees. so you have one giant bed with a crack down the middle near your hips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't she still end up on top of me in the middle of the night? I guess then I get out, walk around to the other side, and try to get to sleep over there for a few minutes until she crawls back over.