Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 05-06-2007, 11:39 AM

Default STAPLE DISHES: EGGS

kind of like iron chef except also the complete opposite:

here is a dish I would probably eat 3+ times a week (with various small alternatives). However, there's no way I make it as well as a professional chef (lol obv) and i'm interested to see how other people make it.

You can a) respond with advice to improve a dish!
or b) respond with your own dish / preparation!

Since these are simple dishes, focus on giving your own little 'tricks' that most people might not use:

OK, FIGHT!

These are my eggs; I hadn't planned to photograph them when i made them, which is kind of the point.

I put the pan on the stove; i put a little extra virgin olive oil in the pan once it had got hot; I then heated this oil a little; once I thought it was hot, I added the eggs (often I add a clove of garlic and/or half an onion, which i sautee until translucent); I had planned to cook them sunny side up, but I am awful at that (or maybe just paranoid, i mean its not rocket science right?), and didn't want to eat a raw egg, so right when I thought they had cooked through fairly well (but where still slightly translucent at the top), I flipped them for a few seconds then took them off.

Then I put a very small knob of butter in the frying pan while it was still hot, and put about half of a small bag of baby spinach in there; I added water until it didn't steam when i put it in the pan, and then once it had steamed away and I thought the pan was hot enough again, I added more.

I toasted a piece of bread, slopped some barbeque sauce on the side, tore up some basil and covered it all in ground pepper. Pretty tasty.

5/10 eggs, imo. I challenge you to beat them!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: STAPLE DISHES: EGGS

If you are making scrambled eggs mix a small amount of milk into the eggs when you scramble them. It makes the eggs fluffier and taste better.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:50 PM

Does anyone else think tobasco sauce was specifically created for eggs? They go so good together, they should like get together and scissor or something.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:41 PM

another thing i like to do (but not an automatic thing, like for example adding ground pepper) to mix up my scrambled eggs, is throw some chopped up sundried tomato in there, and sometimes even a little dijon mustard. I didn't know there were people who didn't add milk to scrambled eggs fwiw.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:53 PM

i was under the impression that adding milk and pepper to scrambled eggs was SUPER standard.. no?
Old 05-06-2007, 03:33 PM

I don't add milk to scrambled eggs.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was under the impression that adding milk and pepper to scrambled eggs was SUPER standard.. no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that adding milk to scrambled eggs was for people who couldn't cook. I don't mean that as a shot to you but I was always told if you know how to prepare and cook right, milk is not needed.

---------

I have no clue what they are actually called, but I like making eggs by first acting like I'm making eggs over easy. Whenever I flip them, I let the yolk harden just a tad and then I chop up the eggs. The remaining yolk mixes with the eggs but it's not a sloppy mess. The eggs end up dry and tasting a little like a warm hard boiled egg.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Whoever told you that was wrong. Its the other way around.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:04 PM

chop up some tomatoes and fry them for a while in olive oil, then add the eggs. This also works great with sliced eggplants, zucchini, or mushrooms. Add some oregano before you're done.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:15 PM

Looks good. I like to make home fries with shredded potatoes
or diced up potatoes to go with it. It rounds out the meal for me.