Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Eugenics

Well, if we are ignoring moral problems, the biggest practical hurdle is essentially the mouse/snake/mongoose/gorilla problem.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the mouse/snake/mongoose/gorilla problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what is this problem?
Old 11-14-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...the mouse/snake/mongoose/gorilla problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, that old chestnut.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
foal,
how about just criminalizing making a second own child? I don't see need for forced sterilization. Forced abortion, maybe, depending on how early it is (I don't have an opinion on abortion really).

I know it sounds unpleasant, but I see a LOT of potential in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think China did this for awhile if not even to the present time. Welcome, Comrade!!

It's all about morality.

Modern abstract and especially scientific thought places man as a fifth wheel in thinking and therefore finds no connections to the world. This is the road to "no morality" in life. All of the world(s) are a moral tone poem. Look out into nature and this can be revealed to an artistic perception. Man is a part of this "moral tonality", a part of nature even though he disassociates himself in thought from nature which in reality is his very being.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:49 PM

Tame Deuces summed it up.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how big the gene pool would need to be, but with 6 billion people on this planet, I think it probably wouldn't be a big problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

But remember that you are eliminating the genes of "stupid people." You might also end up getting rid of a lot of traits, effectively limiting the gene pool much more.

If you are considering this, watch the movie Gattaca, and tell me if you still think it's a good idea.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how big the gene pool would need to be, but with 6 billion people on this planet, I think it probably wouldn't be a big problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

But remember that you are eliminating the genes of "stupid people." You might also end up getting rid of a lot of traits, effectively limiting the gene pool much more.

If you are considering this, watch the movie Gattaca, and tell me if you still think it's a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, then watch U-571 and maybe Event Horizon.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the problems with eugenics (other than possible moral problems)? Don't genes matter enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

you cannot just cast the moral issues aside, particularly when they are at the crux of the argument against eugenics .
Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the problems with eugenics

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on exactly what mean by eugenics.

[ QUOTE ]
other than possible moral problems

[/ QUOTE ]

Does not seem reasonably to ignore the moral problems.

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a reasonable idea to me, that we would try to increase the amount of positive traits (empathy, intelligence, happiness, beauty...) by only making new people from sperm and egg cells of people with those traits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a disastrous idea. The form of policing that would be need to implement these rules would far out do any imagined befits. I expect there would also be practical problems with implementation due to popular resistance.

[ QUOTE ]
Eugenics could solve the problem that stupid people reproduce more

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that a problem?

[ QUOTE ]
while also hopefully increasing people's happiness (by fitting better to modern environment like cities) and making people care more about each other, animals and future generations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes! I’m 180º on this one.

[ QUOTE ]
I know there's the stigma because of nazis and "unnaturality", but I think we should try to get over that if it means we can solve other huge problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t see the other huge problems.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Eugenics could solve the problem that stupid people reproduce more

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a problem, because we live in a democracy (and I don't know good, realistic options to democracy). Which means that the votes and opinions of "stupid people" will start to matter more and more when their amount increases. Politics (and business) is a field where selfish people (including psychopaths) can be successful, and only try to benefit themselves. And their opinions can't be too different from the opinion of the stupid people, or they will not be popular. The stupid people don't care much about future (after their own lifetime). Add corruption, international companies (which decrease the power of politicians) etc. to that, and it really doesn't look like the decisions made by the politicians would consider much else than well-being of the stupid people (including short-term future) while also having to deal with pressure from business world. This means that other things would be ignored more and more. These other things include, but definitely aren't limited to, long-term future of mankind and animals (and also the treatment of animals, which is quite sick now in my opinion).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
while also hopefully increasing people's happiness (by fitting better to modern environment like cities) and making people care more about each other, animals and future generations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes! I’m 180º on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you just say you oppose the happiness of people other than you?