Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Stars PLO/8 .10/.25 - flopped nuts, now what?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $0.25 BB (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

I'm an Omaha/8 noob, so I'm still trying to get used the types of plays I should be making in certain situations. And here's one of them.

Reads over 50+ hands:
Button is weak tight.

BB is loose aggressive playing quite a few hands and potting flops with 2 of a suit or a paired board. I think he bullied some small pots, but I can't be sure since he never showed his hands. All I know is that he played over 40% of his hands.

MP2 is semi-loose aggressive and passive AF. Has shown some ugly hands.

I wasn't sure about whether to bet this flop or try for a pot-sized check raise. Should I be afraid of someone drawing to a better straight for high and/or getting quartered if I slow play this, or is that monsters under the bed? All comments and constructive criticism are welcome. Thanks in advance.

MP1 ($5.25)
MP2 ($5.10)
CO ($13.90)
Button ($25.65)
Hero ($36.60)
BB ($30.40)
UTG ($46.70)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.25, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>

Another question comes to mind...is this a playable hand from any position at the table, or just the blinds and maybe the button in an unraised pot?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Stars PLO/8 .10/.25 - flopped nuts, now what?

bet, 3 bet.

This isn't a playable hand in any situation, but I do like it in a lot of spots. The big prob is of course the J is doing nothing for you, however the hand still has promise. Depends on reads/stakes/image and other factors but this is usually the type of hand I like to play in LP or in the blinds, because I can generally gather from how many people are in the hand as to what cards are live.

For example, if I have this hand in the CO and there's an EP raise and a couple of calls, I'm folding, because Aces are probably dead. Whereas if I have this hand in LP and its folded to me, I will raise, or if I have it on the button and its folded to the CO who raises, I might RR.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 AM

This might even be check-raise worthy four-way as first to act. If you pot it here, you might get a dollar, which means that your implied odds to play such a mediocre hand weren't very good. That way if you get a call on the check raise, they might come along to see the river if they pick up a flush draw.

In the .10/25 PLO8 on stars, you'll find a high population of nut-peddlers, so there are often monsters under the bed.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:39 PM

I don't like this hand in any position in a FR game. You might have low if either an A or 2 hits, but for the hand to be really bettable you need *both* an A and a 2 on the flop, so your odds just aren't there. And as you can see in this situation where you did get a miracle flop, getting paid off is not so easy either.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:24 PM

1st, read over 50 hands is usually no read. Fold from most position complete from the SB call, check the BB. Check flop IMO then see what happens. If it checks around then bet the turn.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:22 PM

4 see the flop, but you have the low locked and a str8. You are not that worried about flushes with a rainbow flop. I lead with at least a bet here, maybe pot it. You will be paid by many hands, including sets.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:55 PM

if you have an overaggressive table then perhaps checkraise.

But I think that board is too scary that most people will check it who may still call a bet. So I lead out here 95% of the time. (the exceptions being the times there's some maniac who I'm fairly certain will bet for me)