Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 07:55 PM

Default 25PLO/8: Problems with top set on bad flop

First of all I want to say "Hello everybody" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] because this is my first post at 2+2.
I'm not new to OH8, but still got problems with some hands. Below is an example...
Help on flop, mostly needed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Poker Room skin
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.25
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $51.75
UTG+1: $13.75
UTG+2: $3.50
MP1: $23.20
MP2: $18.85
MP3: $8.40
CO: $7.30
Button: $35.65
SB: $28.80
Hero: $53.35

UTG is LAG, mostly tourney player. He is a good player.

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB checks, Hero checks.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($2, 8 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $0.25</font>, CO calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $3.25</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 calls all-in $3.25</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Hero calls.

I have top set, but no redraws and no low so i decided to check and wait for an action.
Next I called this .25 bet. Then UTG pushed with PSB, 2 callers and I called. Was it very bad, should I reraise him (we both have ca 2 buyins) or maybe fold?? I put him on some good low/flush draws.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($15.25, 3 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $15.25)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $15.25</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn is baaaad. Should I fold my set here, cause I'm probably playing only for $7.50??
Old 01-02-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: 25PLO/8: Problems with top set on bad flop

fold to the flop raise, you are seriously overvaluing your hand. your basically drawing to a board pair and a low not to come to scoop. does that sound good to you? most of the time you will win half, or less.

on the turn, you're calling to get your money back plus a few BB's at best.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:24 PM

No, you want to play a big pot here (on the flop) I like the check if you're going to check raise and if one guy pots in and another guy calls then you repot it and get a ton in on the flop.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:31 PM

The only players who want to play a huge pot with you here either have you beat, or are complete retards. Who wants to play a big pot here? A low wrap, or NLD + flush, maybe both. Unless you think you can drive everybody out with pure aggression on the flop, I think this is a fold.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:53 PM

I think folding the flop is too weak, especially with two other players still in the hand. What hands are you thinking they have that your pot equity with top set is less than 33%? I would repot the flop in a heartbeat versus two other players (not even counting UTG+2). Versus one other player I might just call, figuring to fold if the turn came low and push otherwise.
Pushing the flop makes even more sense if you're going to call anyway when the turn hoses you (as it did).
Old 01-02-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, you want to play a big pot here (on the flop) I like the check if you're going to check raise and if one guy pots in and another guy calls then you repot it and get a ton in on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's terrible advice, especially at this level. anyone with a heart or low draw (or both) will call and you are in big trouble (and utg probably has a combo draw like this).