Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2006, 08:08 PM

Default Help.

I was pretty good for the first -300bb. I was fairly cool headed for the next -200bb. But the last -100bb have really, for some reason, shaken my confidence. I had to shut down my games today and I've put away poker until I get my confidence back.

I need your help 2p2. I've posted a lot of my hands that I felt were questionable and gotten good feedback. I haven't found too many major errors in my game. But I'm doing horribly, and I've really lost my mojo.

There's a fairly good chance I'm just on the downswing of a lifetime, but I'm concerned I may have some kind of serious leak that I'm completely unaware of. I'm losing so much money every single session it's crazy.

I'm asking for *experienced* volunteers to review my hand database. What do you get? A huge 5/10 6 max database from yours truely.

These stats (above and below) are a few days old but they'll do I think.

Many of you have come to know me around here and from the Micros. I've done session reviews for some of you, and some of you have done them for me.

Now I'm in big trouble though. I almost made this post at -500bb but decided to wait. I can't wait anymore.

Please help!
Old 06-18-2006, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Help.

From this I can't really see much that is wrong. Maybe you can open up to ~25/19 but I doubt that's the reason. Post the big white page and how specific hands are doing, maybe?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:19 PM

This looks familiar. I am 24/17, I defend a little more and get to SD a little more. I am also in the red after 36k hands which includes a 450BB downer. Your stats are OK IMO. You seem to think you're playing well and not tilting, so just keep playing and run better I guess.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:21 PM

Old 06-18-2006, 09:33 PM

I'm of the opinion that you get a spiky graph like yours if you don't read hands well. Are you playing 4+ tables at a time?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:35 PM

Wow. For a second I thought I made this post when I was blackout drunk, trying to forget poker.

I haven't had a winning month since February. March, April, and May were each -150BB or more. I think I'm down about 600BB total, as well.

My advice? Move down. I've still got a roll of over 500BBs for 5/10, but I'm back at 3/6. I'm trying to nail down some things - notably, stealing and defense - and get my confidence back up. I've told myself I'm going to grind my way up to 1,000BB for 5/10, then move back to 5/10 and get comfortable before hopping straight to 10/20 (assuming I don't drop under the 1,000BB mark).

If I can't handle 3/6 or start running [censored] there, too, its time to hire a coach.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:38 PM

no one can help you by looking at your stats if you are running bad, no matter how good they are.

When players run bad, they tend to lose a lot of big pots and win a lot of tiny pots, so thats prob why your SD stats are not that bad. 600BB downswings are [censored] yes, but it happens even to the best. So if you already know you are a winning player in the past over a large sample, there is no reason to tweak your game if your style works for you, just because of a downswing.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:39 PM

No matter how many times I told Adam that his VPIP should be 23.25%, not 23%, he refuses to change his hand selection. I'm confident that this is the reason for the slide.

The only thing I can do is recommend moving down for a bit, but of course, that doesn't take variance out of the game. In terms of confidence, it might be nice to face some lesser opponents for a bit.

--Dave.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm of the opinion that you get a spiky graph like yours if you don't read hands well. Are you playing 4+ tables at a time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. I hope this is a joke.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. I hope this is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, me too.

Moving down doesn't "take variance out of the game," but it does reduce its impact in a nominal sense, and if the slide is big enough that the monetary amounts are affecting you, that can be pretty important.