Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Canaidain Bank account?

I’m a US citizen and I’ve been trying to acquire a Canadian bank account for online gambling purposes. I was told by RBC Royal Bank that I could open an account online/and or through the mail and they sent me a bunch of forms to fill out. I then received the following email:
“Thank you for contacting RBC Royal Bank. We have received your application to open an account through our on-line site. As some of the information that was input indicates that you are currently a non-resident, we need to make further inquiries.
Are you currently in the process of coming to Canada as an immigrant or under a student visa or work permit?
If not, please explain in detail the need to have an account in Canada.
Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing back from you.
Sincerely, “
I am not planning on immigrating to Canada or getting a student visa (although you can do short-term student programs without a visa). I do sometimes stay with my friend in Toronto, so I could show proof of residence (although getting a bill with my name on it might be difficult.) I was wondering if anyone has had any success with this and what are some excuses they’d except. (I’m a professional poker player is probably not going to fly).

Anyone with experince in this matter please post here or pm me.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Canaidain Bank account?

Lets say I rent/live in a condo in Toronto for 2 months out of every year and can supply them with the address, get a letter from the condo owner etc. would this salsify the requirements?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:12 PM

I think you'll have a hard time opening an account in Canada.

I did open an account at Chase in the Virgin Islands without being a resident or even ever going there. I simply called up the bank and they Fed-EXed me an application. I Fed-EXed it back with a photocopy of my passport and that was it. Very simple. Since you goal is just to have a non-US account you might try somewhere with less regulation then Canada. The banks here are honestly useless.

Can a Canadian open an account in the US while not being a resident?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 PM

I checked with ScotiaBank. They are downstairs. The manager told me that a US citizen can open an account at their bank if they have proof of Canadian residence and valid ID. Must be done in person at a branch though. They won't do it online.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:30 PM

Well, you could just tell them the actual reason. Nothing to lose by that, is there?

Tell them that under NAFTA, they are required to let you open an account. If Mexicans can drive trucks anywhere in the US under NAFTA, why can't Americans open Canadian bank accounts? Damnit!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:35 PM

Some stuff here seems to suggest a non-resident could open an account through Citibank:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=720199
Old 09-11-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some stuff here seems to suggest a non-resident could open an account through Citibank:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=720199

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure does like look like a U.S. citizen can open a Canadian account.

I do wonder if they would block transactions from gaming sites since they know the account holder is a U.S. citizen.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Your best bet as a U.S citizen would be to get a student visa then a bank account. Im an Irish citizen on a work visa in Canada,opened a T.D account the first week i was here,all i had to do was show them my visa.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your best bet as a U.S citizen would be to get a student visa then a bank account. Im an Irish citizen on a work visa in Canada,opened a T.D account the first week i was here,all i had to do was show them my visa.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was American, I would be nervous about any poker website that doesn't allow Americans from finding out their citizenship and freezing funds.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was American, I would be nervous about any poker website that doesn't allow Americans from finding out their citizenship and freezing funds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nice but is not what this theard is about.

Furthermore, websites allow US players to play who live aboard, doing otherwise would surly be illegal.