Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Well, well, there have been some fun and games...

...while I've not been around.

I can see that my relaxation of the rules is leading to all sorts of shennanegins. Any more silliness (and by that I mean new threads created after this one) will be locked/acted upon.

BUT...This forum is and remains a discussion forum. The nonsense that seems to have happened while I wasn't around gives me suitable food for thought on how best to allow SOME polls/one-liners to occur, and limit/bring the hammer down on others. so continue, it helps my thinking mood.

Pryor and others - I will consider the issues you raised, and will think on how best to address it. I do think there needs to be loosening up of the rules, but obviously a full derestriction is being used to play forum games, and this will not be allowed to continue unchecked.

I welcome any input on how to best balance long content and the odd poll and 'best'/'worst'/'favourite' type threads.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Well, well, there have been some fun and games...

I welcome any input on how to best balance long content (keep it) and the odd poll and 'best'/'worst'/'favourite' type threads. (get rid of it)

my 2 cents
Old 07-03-2006, 05:12 PM

db,

Suggestion.

Go through the recent list/poll/one-liner threads and let us know which ones fit into your idea of what this forum should be and which ones don't.

I, for one, will follow whatever guidelines are laid out.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:20 PM

maybe only allow one or two new best/worsts posts each day and see how people follow that guideline. Maybe best way to garuntee one a day is have a stickied thread where people post suggestions of best/worst and with your judgement choose which one will be the next days topic.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:23 PM

El D.

It's not really about what they are, it's their domination of the front page. I'm thinking maybe if I see more than 2 in the front 10, I will lock whatever I feel is the least worthy until 2 remain. Something like that?

What's your thought on that?
Old 07-03-2006, 05:29 PM

db,

I think that's perhaps the worst of all options. Someone who is a well-known poster like me could make a thoughtless list post that would get a lot of responses and potentially even generate some real discussion, making it an obvious one to stay. On the other hand, some unknown guy could put a lot of thought into a really interesting list post and that could get locked due to lack of interest. I do not think locking threads arbitrarily like that is a good idea at all and definitely don't think it contributes to a better forum.

My suggestion would be one of two options:

1) Don't allow them at all.

2) Allow them, but encourage people to put more content than just an answer in their responses, thus bumping the more discussion-oriented content-heavy lists/polls to prominence while letting the lighter ones fade away.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:31 PM

Diablo,

I thought you forsaked the idea of offering guidance and help in molding this forum, and instead wished to just abide by the rules blindly.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:33 PM

kipin,

I was asked a direct question by db, therefore I felt it respectful to answer.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kipin,

I was asked a direct question by db, therefore I felt it respectful to answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I humbly point out to you that you offered a suggestion to Diebitter before a direct question was asked of you.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:36 PM

i say none at all. there isn't really a poll/list that couldn't be done better in OOT.

the question people should be asking themselves is: does this thread benefit more from focused, in-depth discussion, or from the quantity of a high-traffic area.

polls and lists will almost always lean toward the latter (unless it's like, "what's your favorite Kieslowski film?"). Ergo, they would be better served elsewhere.