Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: the \"you win\" rule

according to the floor anytime a player uses the exact phrase "you win" and only that exact phrase his hand is dead.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:33 PM

Maybe I am unconsciously shooting an angle, but I say "you win" sometimes when I make a crying call on the river. I know I am beat in 90%+ cases, but the pot is too big and whatever value bet made is so small, that I have to call. I usually throw the money in saying "you win" and then wait to see the winner.

Two Saturdays ago at Turning Stone playing 1/2 NL, I was in the 1-seat and a new player sat down in the 2-seat. First pot she plays, she calls a raise from me and we see the flop with a few others. I bet the flop (top pair), she calls, everyone else folds. I bet the turn when the third club hits (I have no clubs), she min raises me, I call. The river gives me two-pair, I make a small bet, she min raises again, and I call saying "you win".

She mucks, I flip my hand, get pushed the pot. I think its weird, but maybe she was on a bluff with air and then she says "wait, what happened". She realizes what happened, some discussion ensues and she realizes that she mucked and what has happened. She tells me later she had a straight-flush.

Questions:

1.) Was I angle shooting?

2.) Would you have split the pot with the player even if you never saw their hand.

3.) Would you forever stop using "you win" on the river.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I am unconsciously shooting an angle, but I say "you win" sometimes when I make a crying call on the river. I know I am beat in 90%+ cases, but the pot is too big and whatever value bet made is so small, that I have to call. I usually throw the money in saying "you win" and then wait to see the winner.

Two Saturdays ago at Turning Stone playing 1/2 NL, I was in the 1-seat and a new player sat down in the 2-seat. First pot she plays, she calls a raise from me and we see the flop with a few others. I bet the flop (top pair), she calls, everyone else folds. I bet the turn when the third club hits (I have no clubs), she min raises me, I call. The river gives me two-pair, I make a small bet, she min raises again, and I call saying "you win".

She mucks, I flip my hand, get pushed the pot. I think its weird, but maybe she was on a bluff with air and then she says "wait, what happened". She realizes what happened, some discussion ensues and she realizes that she mucked and what has happened. She tells me later she had a straight-flush.

Questions:

1.) Was I angle shooting?

No. You made the call so what did she expect you to do? Just call and fold? She still needs to table her hand. I've seen this happen so many times when people have to make a crying call and then are surprised to find that their crap still beats their opponents crap.

2.) Would you have split the pot with the player even if you never saw their hand.

Nope.

3.) Would you forever stop using "you win" on the river.

No.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-11-2007, 09:27 PM

I think there is a difference here.

I have a hard believeing that the other player thought you were simultaneously calling her raise and conceding the hand, that combination makes no sense, whereas if you raised, she called and you announced "You Win" I can believe that she reaosnably thought you were conceding the pot.

There is a difference.