Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: How is abortion a states rights issue?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is not a state's rights issue. In fact, if Roe v. Wade is overturned no more than a week would go by before a bill was introduced in Congress outlawing abortion nationwide.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a states rights issue, the Constitution was written to give individual states most of the issues.

I would suggest you google "Federal Criminal Offenses". You will find a very short list, as it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest that you pick up a copy of Title 18 of the United States Code, and stop trying to pass off some random google search as legal expertise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own a copy. Its actually sitting right in front of me, as well as the Bachelors in Criminal Justice hanging on my wall, on the same shelf my badge and service weapon are sitting.

Murder is not a federal offense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, a bachelors in criminal justice does not really mean much IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankfully that's your opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions.....

[/ QUOTE ]
I know I know opinions are like bachelors in criminal justice, not worth bragging about on the internet.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:25 AM

If someone is kidnapped in one state, brought over to another state and killed there it is a federal case. How can it be a federal case if it is not a federal offense?

Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. was sentenced to death by a federal court for kidnapping and murder even though his crimes took place in states that do not have the death penalty.

That does not add up with the assumption of murder not being a federal offense.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">TomCollins wrote:</font>
Try to find a federal law against murder

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">DblBarrelJ wrote:</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you guys are joking around, as there is obviously a federal law explicitly against murder, and breaking it is definately a federal offense.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">TomCollins wrote:</font>
Try to find a federal law against murder

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">DblBarrelJ wrote:</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you guys are joking around, as there is obviously a federal law explicitly against murder, and breaking it is definately a federal offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there is a law against murder! I just found that so hilarious I had to run with it until someone posted it. Since that's not going to happen, here it is:

US CODE Title 18,1111

(a) Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being with malice aforethought. Every murder perpetrated by poison, lying in wait, or any other kind of willful, deliberate, malicious, and premeditated killing; or committed in the perpetration of, or attempt to perpetrate, any arson, escape, murder, kidnapping, treason, espionage, sabotage, aggravated sexual abuse or sexual abuse, child abuse, burglary, or robbery; or perpetrated as part of a pattern or practice of assault or torture against a child or children; or perpetrated from a premeditated design unlawfully and maliciously to effect the death of any human being other than him who is killed, is murder in the first degree.
Any other murder is murder in the second degree.
(b) Within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States,
Whoever is guilty of murder in the first degree shall be punished by death or by imprisonment for life;
Whoever is guilty of murder in the second degree, shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life.
(c) For purposes of this section—
(1) the term “assault” has the same meaning as given that term in section 113;
(2) the term “child” means a person who has not attained the age of 18 years and is—
(A) under the perpetrator’s care or control; or
(B) at least six years younger than the perpetrator;
(3) the term “child abuse” means intentionally or knowingly causing death or serious bodily injury to a child;
(4) the term “pattern or practice of assault or torture” means assault or torture engaged in on at least two occasions;
(5) the term “serious bodily injury” has the meaning set forth in section 1365; and
(6) the term “torture” means conduct, whether or not committed under the color of law, that otherwise satisfies the definition set forth in section 2340 (1).
Old 10-31-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is not a state's rights issue. In fact, if Roe v. Wade is overturned no more than a week would go by before a bill was introduced in Congress outlawing abortion nationwide.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a states rights issue, the Constitution was written to give individual states most of the issues.

I would suggest you google "Federal Criminal Offenses". You will find a very short list, as it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest that you pick up a copy of Title 18 of the United States Code, and stop trying to pass off some random google search as legal expertise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own a copy. Its actually sitting right in front of me, as well as the Bachelors in Criminal Justice hanging on my wall, on the same shelf my badge and service weapon are sitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those of us not as acquainted with the law as you two seem to be...Why doesn't title 18 111 (or whatever) prove that murder is a federal offense?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For those of us not as acquainted with the law as you two seem to be...Why doesn't title 18 111 (or whatever) prove that murder is a federal offense?

[/ QUOTE ]

See above.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:37 AM

Err, we posted at the same time :P

So, you were just joking?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Err, we posted at the same time :P

So, you were just joking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is a rather common misconception, although to be honest, federal LE agents rarely investigate murders, usually only getting involved when they cross state lines.

I posted because I'd realized how many posts had past with no one questioning that statement, but decided to play it tricky, as I feel I post entirely too much code and don't want a "DblBarrelJ TempBan for too much code" rule called. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are people in Congress who will introduce anything. A bill getting introduced doesn't mean crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for pointing this out. It's like watching a baby walk for the first time.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, a bachelors in criminal justice does not really mean much IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loled at this. I rarely came into contact with the criminal justice majors in college, partly because they're not exactly liberal arts students and partly because there weren't that many of them. I do remember having like 5 of them in a Social, Legal and Political Philosophy class I took senior year and they were supertarded. The kind of people that try to hijack the class discussion to talk about current events instead of the actual philosophy.

What I remember the most is that they seemed incapable of thinking in the abstract. That isn't to say anything about DJ, though. Just reminded me.