Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 PM

Default How is abortion a states rights issue?

Looking to clarify Paul's stance on abortion.

If Paul seeks to define life at conception how can states allow abortion? Isn't it the role of the federal government to override state's decisions to protect liberties? In other words, if the federal government defines life as beginning at conception, how is abortion any different than killing an adult from a legal perspective?

Paul has pushed for legislation to give states authority on abortion. Do you think that Paul would push this same legislation if the Supreme Court had ruled all abortions unconstitutional? Why or why not?

This is an issue that bothers me a lot about Paul. Not because I have a great interest in abortion, but because I feel like he's trying to push his moral preference on this issue.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: How is abortion a states rights issue?

Try to find a federal law against murder.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if a state legalized murder the federal government wouldn't intervene? shouldn't intervene?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it the role of the federal government to override state's decisions to protect liberties?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. In fact, the First Amendment only applies to the states due to a radical (and incorrect) Supreme Court interpretation of the Fourteenth Amendment.

[ QUOTE ]
In other words, if the federal government defines life as beginning at conception, how is abortion any different than killing an adult from a legal perspective?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because murder laws are state laws and the states can do whatever they want. They could legalize all murder if they really wanted to.

[ QUOTE ]
Paul has pushed for legislation to give states authority on abortion. Do you think that Paul would push this same legislation if the Supreme Court had ruled all abortions unconstitutional? Why or why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering I'm very much pro-choice but completely agree with him on this, yes.

[ QUOTE ]
This is an issue that bothers me a lot about Paul. Not because I have a great interest in abortion, but because I feel like he's trying to push his moral preference on this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's trying to stop the feds from pushing one group's moral preferences on another's...
Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if a state legalized murder the federal government wouldn't intervene? shouldn't intervene?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope and nope.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like he's trying to push his moral preference on this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that all any politician does on any issue? I don't get it.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 PM

I for one am not going to defend Dr. Paul on that particular bill. He has a few things that I disagree with him on. That is one of them.

However, the point about violent crimes like murder being state issues is true.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:12 PM

It is not a state's rights issue. In fact, if Roe v. Wade is overturned no more than a week would go by before a bill was introduced in Congress outlawing abortion nationwide.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is not a state's rights issue. In fact, if Roe v. Wade is overturned no more than a week would go by before a bill was introduced in Congress outlawing abortion nationwide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy would that be awful! Can you imagine all those babies not being aborted?? The humanity!

*cue back-alley abortion hysterics, to which I respond with a quote from Planned Parenthood's medical director saying that technology has advanced enough for abortion to be performed safely by virtually any layperson...in 1960*

Edited to add: And of course by "safely" she is only referring to the mother LDO. Still quite unsafe for the baby/fetus/potential human/ball of cells/worm/parasite, depending on your preference.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are people in Congress who will introduce anything. A bill getting introduced doesn't mean crap.