Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Laptops & Desktops

Prob the wrong forum but have no clue where to post, please move mod if needed.

What's the best desktop and notebook out there right now? I've seen the Alienware but that would be overkill for me since I don't play games (yet..maybe one day I will but never got into the new stuff) and only use my laptop for poker and for work (sales manager related crap).

Thoughts? I also want to multi-screen when at home but it also has to be practicle for work use (excel, word, powerpoint, etc...)

thanks
Old 10-09-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Laptops & Desktops

Some of the better Alienware notebooks come with a VGA and a DVI, so you could tri-monitor. However, as you put it, that is often overkill and most notebooks only have one external plug.

You could just get about any desktop (except for Dell, because most of Dell's hardware is propriety and thus non-standard i.e. non-upgradeable). I personally like HP. Typically they come with dual-monitor plugs built in from the get-go and it isn't typically too hard to add another card for up to four monitors (like $100 easy). To get an idea of what is out there just do to the major sites for computers and perhaps check out TigerDirect or something for the video-cards.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:01 PM

I suggest checking out Computers Technical Help forum which can be found here .

In new computer look for Core2Duo cpu, 2gb ram, hd should be 7200rpm(they like to put slower hd into notebooks). Regarding using multiple monitors, I think almost every notebook allows 1 additional monitor, but it depends from model to model so ask in shop before you buy it.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:30 PM

I have an alienware PC. They are great. I think its overkill though if you are just going to play poker, surf the web and use MS office. I use mine for top end gaming as well as poker. The dual screen is a must for multitabling.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:38 PM

MacBook & iMac. For real. These things eat PCs for breakfast.

You can load parallels or use bootcamp to run windows when you want to play on stars or absolute, or any skin that isnt mac compatible.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:51 AM

thanks guys. think i'll get something at thanksgiving when everything goes on sale for christmas...

i bought this laptop a few years ago right after thanksgiving and got such great deal i bought 2, one for me and one for the wife...she's not getting anything this time..lol