Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Proposed Comments to submit concerning UIGEA Regulations

[ QUOTE ]
Is this the royal we , as a nominated PPA board member, or do you have a mouse in your pocket?

There are going to be quite a number of ways to attack the proposed regulations. Some of them for stretigic reasons we might actually want to loose. Some language we might want to back the Gov't into a corner, some we might like vague. Some positions we want to creat a "public" record for a future court action, others might be so glorious we will want to slow play the hell out of them.

So who are you refering to, with your "we"?

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just talking about us, the 2p2 posters.

I personally don't see much reason to try to hide much. It seems like we individual poker players have a simple, straightforward, brute force, task - just fill the comments board with our opinions. Just my opinion.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:52 PM

I'm ready to fill if and when the regs come out for comment. I still have my doubts that they are really arriving next week or next month.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm ready to fill if and when the regs come out for comment. I still have my doubts that they are really arriving next week or next month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. I hope we'll all write often.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the royal we , as a nominated PPA board member, or do you have a mouse in your pocket?

There are going to be quite a number of ways to attack the proposed regulations. Some of them for stretigic reasons we might actually want to loose. Some language we might want to back the Gov't into a corner, some we might like vague. Some positions we want to creat a "public" record for a future court action, others might be so glorious we will want to slow play the hell out of them.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally don't see much reason to try to hide much. It seems like we individual poker players have a simple, straightforward, brute force, task - just fill the comments board with our opinions. Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I like to respond to posts that suggest we spend a lot of time worrying about either empowering the opposition or informing them of our plans, as if this is all some backroom game of maneuvering (all intrigue and smoke-filled rooms).

It seems these (just my personal opinion) are usually self-defeating for us, as we saw last year when UIGEA passed. Too many poker players thought being quiet was the best approach. It turns out that being strongly and proudly on the offense has actually been the best path for us. I hope we'll continue this -- strong advocacy for our rights...full speed ahead!
Old 09-29-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I like to respond to posts that suggest we spend a lot of time worrying about either empowering the opposition or informing them of our plans, as if this is all some backroom game of maneuvering (all intrigue and smoke-filled rooms).

It seems these (just my personal opinion) are usually self-defeating for us, as we saw last year when UIGEA passed. Too many poker players thought being quiet was the best approach. It turns out that being strongly and proudly on the offense has actually been the best path for us. I hope we'll continue this -- strong advocacy for our rights...full speed ahead!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea of what the proposed regs are going to look like and what might be the "perfect" strategy for effectively combating them.

But I have been on both sides of proposed rules fights.

Given that there are quite a number of both straight forward and asymetrical ways to defeat a proposed rule and given some of the talented people on this board, IMPO the less "sunshine" of our more creative ideas the better.

I'm sure we can find a way to alert the nessecary people to some of the better ideas.

Or have I spent too much time inside the beltway or re-reading <u>The Prince </u> ?

D$D
Old 09-29-2007, 12:35 AM

I guess we'll see what's required once we all read the proposed regs.

I personally hope we'll not make it so posters are afraid to post their opinions on the matter. I also hope folks won't be afraid to post their comments out of some unfounded fear of writing the "wrong" thing. That's been a loser for us in the past, and it's contrary to the transparancy we've always had here.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess we'll see what's required once we all read the proposed regs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I suggest you take a moment to reflect on any brilliant suggestions or at least PM all the regulars here before posting.

But then again I'm often wrong or so I've been told during 20+ years of marriage.

D$D
Old 09-29-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I suggest you take a moment to reflect on any brilliant suggestions or at least PM all the regulars here before posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see myself PMing a bunch of folks here for permission to post my opinions. And, I don't want anyone here to feel a need to ask for my permission to post. Again, we'll have to see the regs, but I think you'll find we tend to be open and transparent here. I'm not very interested in secrecy myself, but that's just my opinion.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:59 AM

What do we gain by secrecy? All our legal arguments, if needed after the regs are finalized, are already stated in the iMEGA and Kaplan cases. Are there secret ways to comment on proposed regulation that actually make a difference? For the record, I will be happy to contribute lots of comments. But don't ask me to be optimistic that all our comments will matter.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do we gain by secrecy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing.

[ QUOTE ]
All our legal arguments, if needed after the regs are finalized, are already stated in the iMEGA and Kaplan cases. Are there secret ways to comment on proposed regulation that actually make a difference? For the record, I will be happy to contribute lots of comments. But don't ask me to be optimistic that all our comments will matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have to try. I'm glad you'll be there with us. We'll know more once the regs are released for comment.