Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Fall \'07 Movie Thread

OK, last two movies I saw:

The King of Kong - awesome documentary. Extensive thread on it in OOT. Does a great job creating a compelling story around video game players. Pretty clearly slanted to make the story better, but whatever, it's a movie. Highly recommended, very entertaining.

3:10 to Yuma - very entertaining. Good acting by many, hilariously horrible acting by Luke Wilson. Overall, quite a good movie. Not great in the way Unforgiven is great, but just a solid Western. Definitely worth watching. Also has extensive discussion thread in OOT.

Saw some new previews:

National Treasure II - HAHHAHAHA

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem - Wow, I am such a sucker. I was pumped for AVP, but wow, that was pretty much the worst movie ever. At least I didn't see it in a theater. Anyway, saw this preview and somehow managed to get really pumped up, it looks awesome. I am sure it will suck hard, though.

Lions for Lambs - I have seen a bunch of previews for this and it has always looked super boring. Saw a different one that made it seem maybe OK.

In the Valley of Elah - this is already playing here. Looks pretty solid. Tommy Lee Jones movie, post-Iraq military murder mystery/coverup.

Eastern Promise - Also playing here already. I'm watching this next. David Cronenberg (Scanners, History of Violence) film, violent and gory movie revolving around Russian mob starring Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts. Looks awesome.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Fall \'07 Movie Thread

The Brave One looks horrible.

We Are The Night looks like it could be anywhere on the quality spectrum, but I'll be seeing it.

American Gangster looks awesome.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:48 PM

global,

Normal person who has something happen to them/their family causing them to go into vendetta/revenge/vigilante mode is one of my all-time favorite movie themes.

Unfortunately both Death Wish and The Brave One don't seem worth going to a theater for.

Saw a preview for We Own the Night. I agree that could range from sucky to awesome, but obviously I will have to go see it. "A New York nightclub manager tries to save his brother and father from Russian mafia hit men." Joaquin Phoenix,Mark Wahlberg, Robert Duvall, Eva Mendes. New York cop/gangster movie with these actors, must see it. Unfortunately, the early reviews don't sound great.

Super pumped for American Gangster.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:19 PM

The Brave one wasn't bad -- I actually enjoyed it, but it's much less of a revenge film (on that note, don't see "Death Sentence," it's not good...) and more of a character-driven movie. I don't know that I'd recommend it for theatre viewing, but for Netflix/cable it's worth catching.

-d
Old 09-16-2007, 09:31 PM

Vegas sucks for showing limited release movies- Eastern Promises is one I am eagerly anticipating. Also The Kingdom in a few weeks.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:22 PM

Agree on Western Promises- looks excellent. Unfortanately the movie is not released here yet.

I saw the Brave One last friday. It isn't horrible. There were of course plot inconsistencies and holes but it was not bad. A bit boring at times but that may just because I'm an action junkie. Don't see Death Sentence unless you're there for a good laugh.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:37 PM

El D,
I basically agree with everything you said about 3:10 to Yuma.

Also American Gangster looks incredible.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3:10 to Yuma - very entertaining. Good acting by many, hilariously horrible acting by Luke Wilson. Overall, quite a good movie. Not great in the way Unforgiven is great, but just a solid Western. Definitely worth watching. Also has extensive discussion thread in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ending was strange, but I enjoyed most of this flick. Which one was Luke Wilson?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:28 AM

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/09/14/juno-movie-trailer/

Juno
----------------
Ellen Page stars as Juno (also the film’s title), a whip-smart teen confronting an unplanned pregnancy by her classmate Bleeker (Michael Cera). With the help of her hot best friend Leah (Olivia Thirlby), Juno finds her unborn child a “perfect” set of parents: an affluent suburban couple, Mark and Vanessa (Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner), longing to adopt. Luckily, Juno has the total support of her parents (JK Simmons and Allison Janney) as she faces some tough decisions, flirts with adulthood and ultimately figures out where she belongs.

Looks like a Knocked Up style serious comedy, although this looks to be a little more serious and a little less comedy. Getting rave reviews so far. From the trailer, the subject matter, and the early reviews this movie might come in as a last second darkhorse for a bunch of Oscars.

I'm sure everyone knows most of the cast but JK Simmons was Verne Schillinger in Oz for those that saw it.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem - Wow, I am such a sucker. I was pumped for AVP, but wow, that was pretty much the worst movie ever. At least I didn't see it in a theater. Anyway, saw this preview and somehow managed to get really pumped up, it looks awesome. I am sure it will suck hard, thou

[/ QUOTE ]

SUPPOSEDLY (and maybe i'm just being a sucker too) this movie will be good since they're not trying to keep a PG-13 rating lke they did with the first one.