Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Default The Effect An Avatar Has

Im sure that almost all of us have heard the saying "dont judge a book by its cover". How many of u actually live by that statement though? I know that I can come to quick conclusions about things/people just at first glance, and my first judgment is not always right.

On 2p2 we have the choice to choose almost anything that we want for an avatar. Our avatars are pretty much a quick representation on the kind of people that we are in my opinion. Some of us use celebrities that we like, we use hot girls, funny video clips, etc. etc..

When u first see someone that u dont know make a post, what do u look at first? The avatar or the post? If this site did not have personal avatars do u think communities like BBV4L and OOT would be just as crazy? I feel that having custom avatars is a good thing for 2p2 and helps us to uniquely express ourselves.

I tend to try to figure out who the people are behind that avatar. I see DieBitter and I generally think that he is a laid back guy, likes to joke around and is pretty much cool. I see Grimstarr and just see a tilty spewy person that can get easily angry. Where im going with this is, we pick our avatars for a reason and like it or not the type of people we are, are symbolized in our avatar.

Im interested to hear what other people think about avatars and how they can symbolize a person.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Re: The Effect An Avatar Has

You just want your old one back, don't ya. (j/k!)

What do you think about those of us who change our avatars? I remember bisonbison saying that people should never change their avatars (i think it was bison who said that). The reason being that we all associate an avatar with a specific poster. Changing it up makes a person look like a flake or something. It doesn't establish credibility. Your thoughts on that?

Personally, I'd be fine without them. I like judging people on the content of their posts as well as their names. That's good enough for me. That said, Diebitter has had some great avatars in the past. He's a good avatar picker.

p.s. What do you think Tuq'a avatar says about him?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:29 PM

We change our avatars because we get bored with it, or maybe something changed in our 2p2 reputation or real life. Either way most of the time we choose something that we like and can identify/relate to.

When I first saw tuq I thought he was just another OOT regular and didnt think much of him (dont ban me!!). IMO his avatar fits the OOT community pefectly. He is very open minded, and knows a lot of random stuff.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:33 PM

what about people w/o avatars?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:36 PM

To me, not having an avatar means you are unpretentious and trustworthy.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about people w/o avatars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont need to express themselves visually, they let their words visualize themselves.

Or u cant figure out what u really want [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2007, 05:54 PM

I read a lot of these forums via Blackberry - (it takes the pain out of my daily commute), and it displays the threads minus user pictures. When I log onto 2+2 via PC and see what avatars people actually have, I would say 80% of the time my opinion of the avatar goes along with whatever view I've taken of the poster up to that point.

OP, on a similar note what do you think of PS avatars? I use the following as a very general rule of thumb:

Babies/pets - bad players, there for fun

Anime pics - kids who have moved up from playing Magic etc, generally decent

Cute girls - can go either way: either decent players or bona fide donks

Pic of themselves wearing sunglasses or upturned cards showing aces/royal flush - fish who bluff far too much

"Official" site avatars (eg Neverwin/hi-lo poker.net) - I don't think I've ever played a competent player with one of these.

Once I've seen who's got what avatar, I tend to turn off all the human/pet pictures. Ugly kids and guys tend to tilt me, and I found myself being soft on the cute girls.

I recently switched my PS avatar from anime to a pair of cute girls, and I'm certain that opponents are playing softer towards me on the whole now.

Oh, and did the mods make you change your avatar where Chloe had her hand down her pants? That one was kinda fun, btw.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:13 PM

Usually it doesn't make a difference. Very few people have cool avatars and are bad posters (and those are easy to spot), or have bad avatars but are good posters (Phil153 is the only one I can think of).
Old 09-01-2007, 06:14 PM

So what does having a saint mean? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2007, 06:24 PM

You have very high aspirations is my guess.