Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Hedge?
No... Be a man! 23 95.83%
Yes, you should do some sort of hedge. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2007, 06:37 AM

Default Re: **Official 2007 US Open***

He was actually just outside the top 200.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:00 PM

Ok, I just googled it it, and and it wasn't a match. It was 1 set against each Williams sister on a practice court. The male player freely admits that none of them were taking it seriously. This is a far cry from an actual match.

For the record, I wasn't disputing that a low ranked mens player could beat a Williams sister, I don't have any idea where the line would be drawn.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:21 PM

As a former Div. I college tennis player, who has hit with many low ranked players on both the men's and women's tour, I can confirm that a match between Serena/Venus or any top-ranked woman, and any guy with at least 1 ATP ranking point would not be close at all.

The men's game is world's faster, stronger, and most importantly, a guy's "rally" groundstroke is hit with more speed and spin than the hardest groundstroke hit by sharapova or venus, etc.

Just think what would happen if a NBA developmental league team played the WNBA champions, or if Tiger played Annika from the tips.

Like most aspect of natural life, men are stronger, faster, and better from a physical standpoint.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:25 PM

As for getting back on topic about the US Open...

Best time of the year for watching tennis. Federer has a cakewalk to the final, no question about it. The bottom half of the draw is gonna be a battle though, with Djokovic and Hewitt likely to meet in the 4th rd. Hewitt has been playing much better lately, so I think he has a great chance to move through. Nadal is coming off injury, so his chances obviously depend on his health. However, he does have a pretty good draw.

My predictions are Federer over Blake, and Hewitt over Nadal in the semis, with Federer giving Lleyton a lesson in the finals, a la their 2004 final when Federer beat him 6-0, 7-6, 6-0.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:26 PM

Please no Hewitt.

Blake had a rough first round match against Russell. Good thing Blake's draw is pretty easy, with really only Andy Murray and maybe Tommy Haas providing a challenge. He should make the semis if he doesn't space out like he usually does. Roddick's draw is pretty easy overall, he should get to the quarters where he'll get slaughtered again by Cyborg.

I like Djokovic over Nadal in the other semi. Can't pick against Cyborg in the finals.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Best time of the year for watching tennis. Federer has a cakewalk to the final, no question about it. The bottom half of the draw is gonna be a battle though, with Djokovic and Hewitt likely to meet in the 4th rd. Hewitt has been playing much better lately, so I think he has a great chance to move through. Nadal is coming off injury, so his chances obviously depend on his health. However, he does have a pretty good draw.

My predictions are Federer over Blake, and Hewitt over Nadal in the semis, with Federer giving Lleyton a lesson in the finals, a la their 2004 final when Federer beat him 6-0, 7-6, 6-0.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for your input on the gap between men's and women's. I really hope Hewitt does NOT make the finals. I really don't think he can beat Djokovic, is he actually playing better? He doesn't have enough firepower to contend with the big boys.

I am looking forward to see how Dyoung will fare against Gasquet. The Gimelstob interview after his farewell match was great. He didn't accomplish in his career, I didn't know he was that entertaining.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:12 AM

Damnit. WTF, Hantuchova out? Hopefully we'll get a Sharapova/Chakvetdaze (sp?) match. Love the US Open!
Old 08-29-2007, 12:19 AM

To those who haven't been paying much attention to tennis lately, keep an eye out for Ana Ivanovich this year. Both she and Nicole Vaidisova are top-notch quality, both surpassing Sharapova IMO.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:27 AM

sucks theres no more US men worth watching. roddick's inconsistent as anything and i never thought blake was anything special. big fan of the williams sisters though they are diesel this year.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for your input on the gap between men's and women's. I really hope Hewitt does NOT make the finals. I really don't think he can beat Djokovic, is he actually playing better? He doesn't have enough firepower to contend with the big boys.

I am looking forward to see how Dyoung will fare against Gasquet. The Gimelstob interview after his farewell match was great. He didn't accomplish in his career, I didn't know he was that entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hewitt v. Djokovic in the 4th rd. might be the match of the tournament. Both players are playing extremely well right now. The played an epic match at Wimbledon this year, that Djokovic squeaked out, 7-6, 7-6, 4-6, 7-6. Especially with the apparent knee injury to Nadal, I think the winner of Hewitt v. Djokovic will cruise to the finals.

Donald Young definitely could compete against Gasquet. Gasquet is one of the game's true mental midgets, and obviously the New York crowd will be 100% pro-Young. It definitely has the potential to be a breakthrough moment. That being said, if Gasquet plays to his capabilities, he'll probably win 6-3, 6-2, 6-1.