Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Letter of Marque and Reprisal

Shortly after the 9/11 attacks, Ron Paul introduced this bill to congress. After reading this I thought it made a lot of sense. If anyone is opposed to this type of action can you give a good reason?

Link to the wiki page on Marque and Reprisal

Link to Ron Paul's remarks to congress concerning the bill
Old 08-10-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Letter of Marque and Reprisal

bush already publicly stated that they're not looking for bin laden anymore, he's not a priority.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:53 AM

This bill was introduced in 2001. I was interested in what people thought of it in the context of that time period.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:02 AM

It seems to me to be the obvious way to deal with terrorism; rather than getting involved in endless wars and nation building, which generally results in more dead babies and more people hating you / willing to commit terrorists acts against you, it actually punishes those who have attacked you.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This bill was introduced in 2001. I was interested in what people thought of it in the context of that time period.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think bush publicly stated bin laden not a priority in early 2002.
anyway, from what we've seen re: domestic terrorism, the gov definitely doesn't want private contractors to go after people who are most likely working for the fbi/cia/h.s. etc.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shortly after the 9/11 attacks, Ron Paul introduced this bill to congress. After reading this I thought it made a lot of sense. If anyone is opposed to this type of action can you give a good reason?

Link to the wiki page on Marque and Reprisal

Link to Ron Paul's remarks to congress concerning the bill

[/ QUOTE ]

It's obviously much better than invading a bunch of countries and killing hundreds of thousands of random people.

However,
The problem lies with the "the specified terrorists". For example, there has been NO evidence released to the public and it's been publicly stated that they have ZERO evidence of connecting 'Osama Bin Laden' to the 9/11 events.

Lollercoasterly,
They DO have lots of evidence connecting about half the government to the attacks.

So yeah, this whole thing is a fraud and when you keep thinking of it in the traditional way of 'get the boogyman and give up your freedoms, and trust the govt', then any ACTIONS the state makes make no sense (hence: Iraq war, military industrial complex, etc, etc, etc, etc). You gotta realize that these politicians are lying to your face.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:56 AM

quick google search, this fits with my recollection.

http://www.buncombedems.org/blog/ind...ogTopicID=2527

[ QUOTE ]
The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I want justice...There's an old poster out West, as I recall, that said, 'Wanted: Dead or Alive,'"
- G.W. Bush, 9/17/01, UPI

"...Secondly, he is not escaping us. This is a guy, who, three months ago, was in control of a county [sic]. Now he's maybe in control of a cave. He's on the run. Listen, a while ago I said to the American people, our objective is more than bin Laden. But one of the things for certain is we're going to get him running and keep him running, and bring him to justice. And that's what's happening. He's on the run, if he's running at all. So we don't know whether he's in cave with the door shut, or a cave with the door open -- we just don't know...."
- Bush, in remarks in a Press Availability with the Press Travel Pool,
The Prairie Chapel Ranch, Crawford TX, 12/28/01, as reported on
official White House site

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

"I am truly not that concerned about him."
- G.W. Bush, responding to a question about bin Laden's whereabouts,
3/13/02 (The New American, 4/8/02)

THANKS, GEORGE!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's obviously much better than invading a bunch of countries and killing hundreds of thousands of random people.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read this part, and only this part, in Niels' post, you'll get the right answer.

Simple answer, if you're harmed unjustly, you seek retribution from those that harmed you.

Cody
Old 08-10-2007, 01:06 PM

From the Wiki article, a letter of Marque and Reprisal was traditionally only issued to private citizens for the purpose of making them privateers. It would be unprecedented to use this to declared a "focused war" on Bin Laden using the military. Although, I suppose we could hire mercenaries and bounty hunters to go after him.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:36 PM

Is this bill even constitutional? Letters of marque are a Congressional power, not an executive one.