Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Does the WSOP Main Event outcome help online poker politically ?

Does this demographic perhaps de-demonize poker ?

Since a Christian, Jerry Yang, can win invoking prayer during the game, is it really the Devil's game ?

(Apparently, he was "logoed" with a FullTilt hat, did he qualify online ?)
Old 07-18-2007, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Does the WSOP Main Event outcome help online poker politically ?

IMO with all the BS that has happened with the Gov and online gambling i would think anything like this would help.
As for Full Tilt and Yang during his interview with Norman Chad he did thank FT for sponsoring him But i dont know if he actually qualified there.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:16 AM

He qualified for $225 in a live satellite at Pachenga in San Diego, IIRC.

That speech was hilarious. THANK THE LOOOOOORD HE GAVE ME THE WHEEEEEL!!!

But seriously, I think it's great for us. It sends a clear message to the FOF idiots that they're not representing all Christians on this issue.

And the whole risking his life to escape communism deal, WOWOWOWOW this guy is gonna be popular in the mainstream media!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He qualified for $225 in a live satellite at Pachenga in San Diego, IIRC.

That speech was hilarious. THANK THE LOOOOOORD HE GAVE ME THE WHEEEEEL!!!

But seriously, I think it's great for us. It sends a clear message to the FOF idiots that they're not representing all Christians on this issue.

And the whole risking his life to escape communism deal, WOWOWOWOW this guy is gonna be popular in the mainstream media!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I don't think we could have asked for anything better out of the ME champ. Escaping Commies, family and church going guy, pleasant demeanor, charitable, etc.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:37 AM

Sorry I miised the interview, has anyone seen this on you tube yet?

obg
Old 07-18-2007, 08:41 AM

I almost feel guilty I want to use him for our personal gain, but you can damn well bet FT is salivating.

Edit: A degree in health psychology. Social worker. Someone get him to Capitol Hill ASAP.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost feel guilty I want to use him for our personal gain, but you can damn well bet FT is salivating.

Edit: A degree in health psychology. Social worker. Someone get him to Capitol Hill ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel guilty. Then I remember how the UIGEA law was snuck into must pass legislation and I don't feel guilty at all.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 AM

There is no downside to Jerry winning. Frankly, I am uncertain how much of an upside he presents, but at this point I'm optimistic that Jerry will be a good ambassador for the game.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:01 AM

I think he could be the most meaningful since Moneymaker, and maybe more, since we need and crave legitimacy in the eyes of the average voter/citizen. For those of us who have been around since the days where we couldn't ever see smoke free tables, I think you can see it even clearer. The image of who IS a poker pro, or winner(I don't think pro is the best word any longer). I like to remember how David Daniel laid out how a lot of us used to think and be thought about(Poker:How to win at the Great American Game). Come on, most of us are [censored]. Paranoid, monomaniacal, passive-aggressive, combative, and ill-tempered. I'm not saying we are horrible people, but our personalites are not congenial. His is. For $225, his life just changed for the near miraculous. He is a nice guy and a great story. How well spoken and articulate on a consistent basis yet we don't know. Compare it to the widespread loathing for Jamie Gold. If ESPN, USAToday, and the other media outlets who cover poker as a sport pump him, and his rise to success through hard work, perseverance, and POKER, we can sway people. This can help get OUR letters to the editor published, as they will follow a lead sports story. This IS news. Im not an editor, but I am a news junkie, and I know a big story's feel, and Im 85% sold on this being a big story.

Yes, I feel guilty, but I think we are on the side of the truth in the fight for our game, and the democratic right to play it. The man needs a good PR handler, who is on poker's side. I pray someone with some sense gets a hold of him before the useless [censored] at PPA co-opt him into oblivion. I can see him sitting favorably in interviews on news shows, morning shows, radio shows, everywhere. The message just has to be honed into consistency, to push poker's legitimacy and outright legalization. Jerry Wang can be THAT guy. If he wants to. BTW, if you have cash to spare, donate to Make a Wish, and Ronald Mcdonald House. Mention you saw Jerry Wang win the WSOP, and heard about him donating from there, and you decided to as well.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:13 AM

What we need now is an online charity Jerry Yang tourney for his charities to capitalize on this gift from the heavens!

Anyone?

obg