Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 07-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: TV cooking contest shows

Jag has screwed up a LOT of the tests, though, recently. Like, he can hardly do a thing that's good anymore. I thought he was better at first, but now I really couldn't put him above either of the two ladies.

You know, maybe Rory should win by default just because the other two of the last three finalists are kind of crazy. Rory looks like her gums are trying to leave her body, but otherwise seems pretty normal.

And they say she is commanding; that remark has been made by different people a number of times. Seems to me a prime quality you need if you're going to head up your own show.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:31 PM

Rory's teeth make an entrance into a room a good half minute before the rest of her body appears but that doesn't dissuade me from liking her. The girl loves butter and I respect that.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:16 AM

Gordon Ramsey has a new show (maybe a year or two old now) on BBC called, "Kitchen Nightmares" or something like that.

It really is excellent. Anyone who considers Hell's Kitchen a guilty pleasure should def check it out. It's on Thursday nights and the premise is Ramsey going to different joints in Europe that are struggling. He goes in and turns the place around more often than not.

He still acts like a prick from time to time, but you can really see how great he is at what he does. I don't even watch HK anymore - but I never miss his other show.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gordon Ramsey has a new show (maybe a year or two old now) on BBC called, "Kitchen Nightmares" or something like that.

It really is excellent. Anyone who considers Hell's Kitchen a guilty pleasure should def check it out. It's on Thursday nights and the premise is Ramsey going to different joints in Europe that are struggling. He goes in and turns the place around more often than not.

He still acts like a prick from time to time, but you can really see how great he is at what he does. I don't even watch HK anymore - but I never miss his other show.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is also making an American version coming out this fall on Fox.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Tony Bourdain is now doing another guest blog, and this time for a different cooking contest show, Top Chef. He's guest blogging for judge Tom Coliccio(the bald dude).

Fun excerpt:

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of the Brothers Blockhead: I have a grudging respect for Howie. I truly enjoyed how -- when I was a judge -- he threw my own words back at me, taking responsibility for his own actions, but standing on principle. He's a tough, obstinate little bastard. He takes his beatings like a man, without passing the buck or making excuses, but seems not to play well with others.

Not that ANYONE could play with Joey. Joey comes off like a walking laundry list of "Things Chefs Don't Want In An Employee." Whiner. Crybaby. Blames Others. Persecution Complex. Confrontational. What Bill Buford, in his excellent book, "Heat" came to recognize as a "[censored]". It's a good thing the judges don't see the backstage melodrama. Most chefs I know get wood from kicking guys like that to the curb.

[/ QUOTE ]

This link will take you to the rest of it:

Bourdain guest-blogging for Top Chef show
Old 07-18-2007, 05:33 PM

I just had my service provider add Bravo to my cable package because I wanted to be able to talk Top Chef with you! It cost me $8 a month (along with 49 other channels). I'm excited. What night of the week does it come on?

oops - just noticed that Ron Burgundy already told me that it airs Wednesdays at 10. Sorry about that Ron! (hey cool, that's tonight)

Old 07-18-2007, 06:12 PM

Cool Katie! They usually run the last episode right before the new one, so you can catch up a bit that way. Plus, last week they ran the last TWO episodes, so you might be able to catch a three-hour block there to get you up to speed.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:57 PM

Top Chef 7/18
Old 07-18-2007, 11:09 PM

On Pacific Coast time; I've got a couple hours to go before I catch any spoilers over there!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:19 AM

Okay saw it.

Hung for the THIRD TIME IN A ROW scoffed at people criticizing his dish -- arroz con pollo (rice with chicken). Worse, the criticism seems far from something academic or for refined palates in any way. People simply said his rice was overcooked and his chicken dry.

Seriously, what is wrong with this guy? I don't think I'm out of line by saying that as an Asian, he has had rice a billion times -- I grew up around Asians and can't think of a single one who that would not be true of. And he blew it. This should be part of his arsenal, not a threat. And doing chicken? feh, minor stuff. That he couldn't master this simple dish is telling. And then getting a snotty attitude about it, after multiple snotty attitudes, is telling as well. This guy is living in his own world of self-regard, and invulnerable to humility and learning experiences. He is WAY too young to think he knows everything there is to know already. Especially about cultures that have basically zero in common with his own.

Lia leaving seems a bit much. So her food was bland. That doesn't make it bad. Others were cited -- like Hung -- as outright bad. What gives here? We have lost Camille the first time she was ever at the bottom, while Howie survives multiple times and so does Hung. And now we lose Lia for not being as bad as the other dishes she's competing against. The Indian girl's ceviche was described as something that could only qualify as quacamole if you closed your eyes when eating it, because it had too little fish in it. TOO LITTLE FISH! In a ceviche dish! WTF?

So dry chicken plus dry rice, and a ceviche that's guacamole, stay while a dish that is merely bland stays? I dunno about this.

I was glad to see Joey finally pull something out of his ass. And Howie strongly and repeatedly praising his dish, and even handing him his wine bottle after his win, was classy and very cool all around. Taking his past tussles with Joey into account, I like Howie a lot more after this episode.

I guess I always have a soft spot for the underdog. I'm not that fond of Joey, but I still get some sort of a charge when he wins, just because he has so much hate and failure behind him. It's like he cut free a dooming anchor, and it's hard not to get behind his breathing free for a change.