Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: The final word on addictive gamblers and debt cases who are desper

Look, I don't want to have a political debate with you either, I merely answered your post which told some people that seemed unstable and addicted to join up. Thank you for changing the tone of the conversation. I don't want to do an exhaustive search, but if you are in Iraq, you must know that that vast majority of soldiers are on multiple tours, and if they have been lucky enough not to be seriously wounded, they have still be in an explosion/IED, without being "wounded". This creates a mild case of TBI, and each successive case the soldier in the vincinity of any concussive, it is exaterbated. That is why in samples of the general population of returning soldiers they have found rates approaching 20%, which again will only continue to climb with extended deployments and 5 tours, etc...it is just a matter of being stretched too thin, and the other problem is that there is nowhere near enough resources to treat all the TBI cases, severe or moderate. Linked on the bottom is a study stating the TBI rates of evacuated soldiers to Walter Reed is now over 2/3's and that it is expected that half of injured soldiers will have brain injuries.

I just don't like anyone downplaying this, or poking fun at it, I hope you understand. I didn't really intend to be part of hijacking the thread. I still think joining the military should be a positive action, not a way of hiding, or running away. It is a great place for gaining discipline, gaining self-confidence, and there are good financial reward now, but I am not sure most of the folks here would show discipline with their sign-up bonus. I would not sign up now with the idea that you can avoid combat, this is not likely now in the Marines or Army, regardless of your scores/specialties. They need combat soldiers much more than anything else. And as I said, the Marines now have a program requiring every Marines regardless of specialty to serve one tour before another Marine serves multiple tours. I am curious Govman what your position is in Iraq? Feel completely free not to say if you don't want to, I certainly understand why you might want not to say.

"If TBI is the silent affliction of this war, the casualty count should be the canary in the coal mine. As of mid-May, the military in Iraq suffered 14,804 injuries that required medical transport off the battlefield. This included 7,628 combat wounded and 7,176 non-hostile injuries, plus 19,589 “diseases,” which cover everything from a bacterial infection and mental disorder to cancer and pregnancy, that also required medical air transport. In Afghanistan, 6,213 injured soldiers were evacuated from the field, including 743 combat-related, 1,458 non-hostile, and 4,012 diseases.

Symptoms of TBI can turn up in any of the these categories. According to various reports, of the 1.4 million who have rotated through Iraq and Afghanistan, anywhere from 10 to 30 percent have been exposed to a bomb blast or other head trauma, leaving them with at least mild TBI. A recent study by doctors at Fort Carlson Army base in Colorado found that 18 percent of their returning soldiers had incurred a brain injury in Iraq.

Some 60 percent of the veterans in the VA’s Polytrauma Rehabilitation Center in Tampa, Florida, one of 21 centers handling vets with severe, multiple injuries, have a brain injury, according to ABC newsman Bob Woodruff in a February series he put together after his own year-long recovery from an IED blast. Meanwhile, officials at the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center, the military’s primary research and treatment facility for TBI, has treated 2,130 patients since 2003.

“That’s just a small percentage of the total number, and the fact is, nobody really knows how many have mild [TBI],” said Col. Jonathan Jaffin, Commander of U.S Army Medical Research and Materiel Command at Fort Detrick, Maryland and a spokesman for the DVBIC. He said 70 percent of their cases are mild and those affected may, with the right treatment, recover or at least adjust to their disabilities. But it is not clear, according to doctors, how soldiers with cumulative concussive injuries will fare long-term. All seem to agree the body of research on non-fatal blast injuries is thin."

(Veterans for Common Sense, (Conservative Pro Vet Group)

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/braininj...terantbiwp.pdf
Old 07-05-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4) Army has BIGGG poker games you'll make more money off of degenerate gamblers like yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

OP if for people who have a serious psych and gambling problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed

[/ QUOTE ]

So what the army has big poker games but if you look at general order #1 it's prohibited and I'm sure an officer who get's a file on a soldier with a gambling problem is going to make sure he's not playing in those games. (Officer games) Most of the degens here would be stripers

So take yer gimmick account and take a hike

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't site big poker games with other degenerates as a benefit to signing up if you have a gambling problem, and then say you wont be allowed to play if you have a gambling problem.

It was this statement reagrding the possiblity of gambling with other degenerates that made the original post appear like a desperate attempt to exploit and recruit the vulnerable

The army is no place for people with serious psychological problems or suicidal tendancies and your attempt to recruit such people, although im sure well meaning, is misguided.

Alternatives measures, in no particular order:

1. self imposed ban from all online and B&M gambling establishments (and disposal of computer)
2. gamblers annonymous
3. one to one therapy
4. prescribed drugs
5. support from family and friends
6. new career direction
7. entrust finances with family or friends
8. forming of new realtionships away from the world of gambling
9. improved diet
10. excercise
11. self help programmes
12. New hobbies and interests that instill self discipline and confidence as well as army (martial art?)

Im sure the above will be dismissed as pathetic but they would provide much more support, security, motivation, confidence and long term results than joining the army, which may help the problem temprarily but without addressing the underlying issues the problems would resurface.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4) Army has BIGGG poker games you'll make more money off of degenerate gamblers like yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

OP if for people who have a serious psych and gambling problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed

[/ QUOTE ]

So what the army has big poker games but if you look at general order #1 it's prohibited and I'm sure an officer who get's a file on a soldier with a gambling problem is going to make sure he's not playing in those games. (Officer games) Most of the degens here would be stripers

So take yer gimmick account and take a hike

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't site big poker games with other degenerates as a benefit to signing up if you have a gambling problem, and then say you wont be allowed to play if you have a gambling problem.

It was this statement reagrding the possiblity of gambling with other degenerates that made the original post appear like a desperate attempt to exploit and recruit the vulnerable

The army is no place for people with serious psychological problems or suicidal tendancies and your attempt to recruit such people, although im sure well meaning, is misguided.

Alternatives measures, in no particular order:

1. self imposed ban from all online and B&M gambling establishments (and disposal of computer)
2. gamblers annonymous
3. one to one therapy
4. prescribed drugs
5. support from family and friends
6. new career direction
7. entrust finances with family or friends
8. forming of new realtionships away from the world of gambling
9. improved diet
10. excercise
11. self help programmes
12. New hobbies and interests that instill self discipline and confidence as well as army (martial art?)

Im sure the above will be dismissed as pathetic but they would provide much more support, security, motivation, confidence and long term results than joining the army, which may help the problem temprarily but without addressing the underlying issues the problems would resurface.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about time someone posted some help for these people. Nice post

Ok forget my OP for a second. If the alternative was to join the airforce where you know they gonna get the diet and exersise and not go to Iraq would that be a better solution. The Airforce has the best of everything including lobster [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Joining Airforce or Navy or Coast guard would provide 90 percent of your solutions. Better alternative ?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Re: The final word on addictive gamblers and debt cases who are desperate.

I know most people don't agree with this post but most sign up bonuses are at an all time high and would def help people with debt problems
Old 07-16-2007, 06:54 AM

Stop worrying about defending your post, if the people who you are trying to help read it thats all that matters