Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation

Old 06-22-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Costa Rica to join international group seeking WTO compensation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can I really just go online, do an EFT and bet on horses from my house? Serious question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and even the servers for the site are located IN THE USA my friend. You can bet $500 or $500,000 - whatever you want, but you aren't supposed to play a $5 poker tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hypocrisy of this is just astounding.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Costa Rica to join international group seeking WTO compensation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
True. My only point is if we decide to make legislative decisions for moral reasons, we should not let outside countries influence them. If for other reasons, then I agree with you 100%.

pal

[/ QUOTE ]

The WTO agrees as well. If the US allowed no Internet gambling, there wouldn't be an issue. Obviously we cannot claim that some gambling is immoral but other Internet gambling is okay. Actually, it's not so obvious, as the US tried to do just that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The is an important point that newer ppl might not get. This stuff can be a little difficult to understand. The WTO is not trying to force us to allow internet gambling. It does not have to power to do so, and IMO it should not. The purpose is to prevent us from giving our own (U.S.) companies unfair advantages. This is precisely what they (WTO) argue we are doing when allow our own companies to take online bets, but not foreign owned companies. We deny others access to the U.S. market, and this seriously [censored] up any attempt at competition.

Just thought I would try to explain this as simply as possible. Like I said, sometimes this stuff can be a little tricky to understand.