Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Costa Rica to join international group seeking WTO compensation

Gambling911 reports:

"Costa Rica Will Join Antigua, Japan, India, EU re: US Online Gambling Case
Point-Spreads.com has confirmed that the Central American nation of Costa Rica will now be seeking compensation from the United States for economic hardships brought on by the US crackdown related to online gambling. They will join Antigua, Japan, India and the European Union.

But no country has been more hurt by recent US online gambling legislation than Costa Rica, which services more web gambling firms than any other nation in the world.

One of the biggest hits came last year when the United States government handed down nearly a dozen indictments against principals of BetonSports. That company was forced to shut down and lay off over 1000 employees.

Bodog.com, BetUS.com and other major Costa Rican employers have had to downsize their operations in that country as a result. At one time it was widely believed that the Internet gambling sector employed at least 10,000 Costa Ricans either directly or indirectly (through support jobs).

But the economic barometer really swings out of position when one considers that online gambling has helped to fuel dozens of other industries within Costa Rica. Everything from restaurants to banking to the hotel sector has been affected by the slowdown in online gaming. "

I have an source, independent of Gambling911, for the same report that Costa Rica is joining the "online gaming" claimants group.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Costa Rica to join international group seeking WTO compensation

Point-Spreads.com sources had a dinner meeting with Marco Vinicio Ruiz, the Costa Rican Minister of Commerce. At the meeting, Minister Ruiz indicated the letter would be sent to the WTO tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 AM

Other countries having an influence on our lawmaking within our walls would be a terrible thing for our Govt. to allow.

That said, I hope the outside pressure is enough to loosen things back up again. Poker is the one thing I'd like to be selfish about and have available...and I guess I'd be willing to see a few "terrible" things to have it lol. But I'd hate the precedent it could set for our country.

pal
Old 06-22-2007, 10:27 AM

pal, the only reason these "other countries" have an influence is that WE GAVE IT TO THEM. The WTO was a US idea. Free(er) trade benefits the US more than most other countries (or at least it used to).

This doesn't bother me at all: you make a promise, you keep the promise.

Skallagrim
Old 06-22-2007, 10:33 AM

True. My only point is if we decide to make legislative decisions for moral reasons, we should not let outside countries influence them. If for other reasons, then I agree with you 100%.

pal
Old 06-22-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
True. My only point is if we decide to make legislative decisions for moral reasons, we should not let outside countries influence them. If for other reasons, then I agree with you 100%.

pal

[/ QUOTE ]

The WTO agrees as well. If the US allowed no Internet gambling, there wouldn't be an issue. Obviously we cannot claim that some gambling is immoral but other Internet gambling is okay. Actually, it's not so obvious, as the US tried to do just that.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:55 AM

Can I really just go online, do an EFT and bet on horses from my house? Serious question.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:59 AM

Try YouBet.com, a US site.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I really just go online, do an EFT and bet on horses from my house? Serious question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and even the servers for the site are located IN THE USA my friend. You can bet $500 or $500,000 - whatever you want, but you aren't supposed to play a $5 poker tournament.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on your state law, yes.