Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Several Hotshots Supposedly Broke Or In Debt

[ QUOTE ]
Won't name names and I might be wrong about some of them, but it does include players who made millions off Andy Beal, Guy, from Cique du Soleil and other rich amateurs.

But the bottom line is that most of these "stars" (I can't name the exceptions either because that would narrow things down too much) are simply among a group of the top fifty or hundred players. Actually many aren't even quite that good except in multiple games, an area that most smaller players have no reason to try to get excel at.

In other words, except for two or three possible exceptions, I contend that the super high successful players are no better than the best of the 300-600 limit players or the 50-100 NLH or PLO players. They got lucky, were in the right place at the right time, or they were good at all games but masters at none. Nothing to waste your adulation on.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Sklansky post I can agree with, even if it is rather petty.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Brad Booth in debt over a Million. Guy is major busto

Daniel N is also busto, not life busto, just cash busto. He had money invested well so not hurting in the game of life, but his poker bankroll is gone.

Jennifer Harman same thing. But she has many properties in town and has a fortune in real estate.

[/ QUOTE ]I thought people were saying harman was the one of the richest poker players there was
Old 05-29-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So if I say that when I was in LA a week ago and I saw a former big-game regular always playing games in the 200/400 to 400/800 range, my level of gossip is on Sklansky's range?

David's post belongs in BBV as without naming names it's just a knowledge brag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might it be true that some LA big game players just play 400 or 500 during the week and at the B on weekends? Thats as high as it gets in LA, barring the Hustler game, which only goes once a week.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Daniel N is also busto, not life busto, just cash busto. He had money invested well so not hurting in the game of life, but his poker bankroll is gone.

Jennifer Harman same thing. But she has many properties in town and has a fortune in real estate.

[/ QUOTE ]I thought people were saying harman was the one of the richest poker players there was

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll say it for the umpteenth time: This is why counting other people's money is stupid.

David, you've been in the game probably as long as I've been alive and it took you this long to be able to express the fact that poker success is mostly smoke-and-mirrors?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:29 AM

How is this even considered news? It's no secret than several "superstars" are losing players....

I can think of one in particular that's gotta be down at least a half mil in the last couple years....
Old 05-29-2007, 04:32 AM

DS,

Wait a sec, you're saying that among a lot of guys at a similar level of skill, the ones that run the hottest will often jump up to higher levels and some of them will run hot there as well and be perceived as being far better than they really are? Thanks, hard to imagine why nobody had thought of that as a possibility until now.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DS,

Wait a sec, you're saying that among a lot of guys at a similar level of skill, the ones that run the hottest will often jump up to higher levels and some of them will run hot there as well and be perceived as being far better than they really are? Thanks, hard to imagine why nobody had thought of that as a possibility until now.

[/ QUOTE ]
dingdingding ding!
Old 05-29-2007, 04:48 AM

I'm not too surprised about your skill assessment after seeing the quality of play on high stakes poker. I am a surprised if a high% of high stakes players are having financial problems considering how great the action has been the past sev. years.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is the point of this post? It contains almost no specific information. [ QUOTE ]

to let you know that he knows stuff that you don't

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
David,

You suck at NVG.

And there's no way you can quarrel with that statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! I think there should be some rule. No f-ing [censored]-teases in NVG, please. If you've got some gossip. Spill it all!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the recent abuse I've given Nick Rainey, I give him credit here. Come up with the goods here.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
isnt this like common knowledge and/or the exact same thing with so many other things in life?

[/ QUOTE ]