Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 05-04-2007, 02:23 AM

Default A Sad Anniversary

Just three weeks after California Republican Governor Ronald Reagan's declaration about student protests, "If it takes a bloodbath, let's get it over with", on May 4, 1970, National Guard troops ordered onto Kent State campus by Ohio Republican Governor James Rhodes, due to protests over Republican President Richard Nixon's expansion of the Vietnam War into Cambodia, fired 67 bullets into crowds of students.

William Knox Schroeder (July 20, 1950 - May 4, 1970) was a student at Kent State University, Ohio. He was shot in the back at a distance of 332 feet going from one class to the next. He died with a folder in his hand.

Sandra Lee Scheuer (August 11, 1949 - May 4, 1970) was a 20-year-old was an honors student in speech therapy at Kent State University. She was shot in the throat from a distance of 130 yards while walking from one class to the next.

Jeffrey Glenn Miller (March 28, 1950 – May 4, 1970) was a student at Kent State University, Ohio. He was shot in the mouth at a distance of 270 feet.

Allison Krause (April 23, 1951 - May 4, 1970) was a student at Kent State University. She was shot in the back at a distance of 343 feet.

Nine other students were injured from shots fired, with one spinal cord injury resulting in permanent paralysis.

Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young wrote the song "Ohio" about the event. The 45 single record was originally packaged in the Bill of Rights, highlighting the right to peacefully assemble.

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4AG0TpGLWUB6X.jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=129k1988a/EXP=1178346118/**http%3A//www.lbcobb.com/images/bill_of_rights_thumb.jpg[/img]

The Famous Photo: Jeffrey Miller dead at 19, he would have been 57 this year.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Re: A Sad Anniversary

A very sad thing. Too bad you completely ruined any chance of me believing that you're actually saddened by it by twisting it to aid your political agenda.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:17 AM

cardcounter,

Do you still 'support the troops', given that they don't have their own moral compass? i.e. they don't think they are responsible for their actions.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:19 AM

lol @ peaceful assembly.

When you loot and burn down buildings, harm civilians and injure peacekeeping national guardsmen, these things tend to happen.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ peaceful assembly.

When you loot and burn down buildings, harm civilians and injure peacekeeping national guardsmen, these things tend to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most honest poster on these boards.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ peaceful assembly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's try Wiki for a slightly more in-depth review of the events, shall we?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings
Old 05-04-2007, 08:20 AM

It'll be interesting to see what the tapes reveal. I'm assuming nothing since they were in the hands of both lawyers and a student at the time and never covered up.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A very sad thing. Too bad you completely ruined any chance of me believing that you're actually saddened by it by twisting it to aid your political agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think cardcounter is making the point that as long as the national guard is in Iraq, they will be killing Iraqi civilians instead of US civilians.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think cardcounter is making the point that as long as the national guard is in Iraq, they will be killing Iraqi civilians instead of US civilians.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seemed to me that the point was "it was all the Republicans' fault."
Old 05-04-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Yep.....A Transparent Partisan Post

[ QUOTE ]
Too bad you completely ruined any chance of me believing that you're actually saddened by it by twisting it to aid your political agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep....well said.
He is probably in a Starbucks now drowning his grief in over-priced coffee while trying to get the coffee maid's phone number.