Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 01:52 PM

Default 3 Gripes About PokerStars

First let me say that I think Pokerstars has excellent support, runs a good operation, Lee Jones is a stand-up guy, and they respond to issues here promptly.

Which is why it surprises me that such a well run company is doing some of this stuff.

Gripe #1: Pokerstars does not know the meaning of the word "free". "Free"rolls that require using FPPs to enter, are not freerolls. FPPs have cash value, they can be used to purchase merchandise or exchanged directly for cash. Using FPPs to enter a tournament means it is not free.

Gripe #2: $X bonus for Y FPPs is not a bonus. You do not get $X for Y FPPs. It requires play to clear. So it is actually $X for Y FPPs + Z playthru FPPs. It is also not a "bonus", it is a purchase (with strings attached).

Gripe #3: Some of the "perks" for higher tier players is the offering of NL "free"rolls and monthly NL tournaments. I am a limit ring player, I grind out a huge amount of FPPs playing limit ring games. To reward me, Pokerstars offers me NL donkaments. I think this is similar to someone who spends a huge amount of time playing tennis at the local tennis club. As a reward, the tennis club gives me "free" passes to play golf. Of course, the golf for the tennis player isn't really free, there is a small greens fee also.

For a high standards, well run company like Pokerstars to not know the meaning of "free" or "bonus" is not understandable.

Only offering NL donkaments as a major part of their 'perks' seems to suggest they are mainly interested in tournament or NL players.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: 3 Gripes About PokerStars

Yes. You should email them a link to dictionary.com's definitions of the terms.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:29 PM

zomg no semantics plz
Old 01-08-2007, 02:47 PM

1 - You're right. But who cares what they call it? Freeroll, FPP-roll, whatever. You ought to be able to figure out what you're getting.

2 - "Bonuses" require play to clear them. So in my opinion, it is precisely a "bonus" that you are purchasing. Sure, I'd prefer cash straight into my account, but I'll take a bonus over having to sell stuff on eBay.

3 - I think this is your most valid point of contention. I play NL now, but strictly cash games. And I used to play SH limit. Offering the same donkaments as an equal reward to all their players isn't quite fair. But I'm not sure what the answer is.

Also, you forgot to address point #4, which is that I have been running like dogshit since I moved back to Pokerstars. I care about this more than any of your other points. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2007, 03:04 PM

It is all about being upfront or being semi-con scam:

1 - You're right. But who cares what they call it? Freeroll, FPP-roll, whatever. You ought to be able to figure out what you're getting.

Yes, so if McDonald's advertises FREE BIG MACs and when you go to get your free Big Mac you find out it costs a dollar, well you should just accept that because they can call them $1 Big Macs, or Almost Free Big Macs or whatever, right? Don't piss down my back and tell me it is raining, and then tell me I should be happy because I am able to figure out that it is not rain.

2 - "Bonuses" require play to clear them. So in my opinion, it is precisely a "bonus" that you are purchasing. Sure, I'd prefer cash straight into my account, but I'll take a bonus over having to sell stuff on eBay.

True, bonuses require play to clear them. This is not a bonus, it is a purchase. You are purchasing the cash. And the cost of the cash is not clearly stated because they do not include the play thru. If you purchase an IPOD, how many hands do you have to play before it is shipped? If you are indeed purchasing a "bonus", then say that -- X FPPs for a bonus requiring Y hands. Not just X FPPs for CASH.

3- LOL DONKAMENTS. So I outlast 9975 players getting an entry into another DONKAMENT. So I outlast 9950 more players again. Almost get to final table the second time, 19,000 players eat my dust. Payoff for 4 hours of play? Two bucks and change. Thanks, glad I generate all that rake to earn the right to play this.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BIG MACs

[/ QUOTE ]

God I could go for a Big Mac right now.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BIG MACs

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you are in luck. As a loyal McDonald's customer you can purchase as many Free Big Macs as you want for $1.99 each.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BIG MACs

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you are in luck. As a loyal McDonald's customer you can purchase as many Free Big Macs as you want for $1.99 each.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? That is a great deal. If you are not lying I am going out to buy some right now.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:40 PM

Go for the value meal. It comes with fries and a soda, and costs around $5. Great deal.

Enjoy.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:57 PM

Counter I agree with you completely. These tournaments are meaningless for me and it rewards only No limit tournament players.

I am dead money in this tournament. They should have an "opt out" option for players and we can use at least half of the money value in FPP or something, anything will be better besides playing against thousands of tournament pros.

How bout we get to opt out of all tourneys and get 15,000 FPP per month ? IS that too much to ask for a measly 15,000 about 230 dollars in store value ?