Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2006, 09:17 PM

Default two big pots with AQ

Hand #1: game has gotten shorthanded. LAG/caller makes it $65 to go on the button. I make it $200 to go from the SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He thinks a long time and calls. He's loose, he bluffs, he calls, he does it all.

He has $2000, I cover.

Flop:

Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet $300, he calls.

Turn:

9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, he checks. (My intention was to c/r allin.)

River:

A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

River action?

Ppl like the turn plan?

Hand #2, this one's easier but still interesting perhaps

One very bad calling station limper calls, I pop it to $100 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] from MP, tricky/wild/bluffy guy calls on the button, calling station calls b/c that's what he does. I have 2K, others cover.

Tricky guy has played me before, he knows I'm tight and capable of laydowns and that I tend to have big hands when I get the money in.

Flop:

A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Calling station checks, I bet $200, tricky guy makes it $475, calling station folds.

His range here is very wide. It is obvious that I am going to do my best to get the money in here. If I smooth call and check to him he may or may not smell a rat.

Best way to maximize win vs. tricky dude?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:50 PM

Default Re: two big pots with AQ

I raise more pre in hand 1, i like turn play, i check river sounds like a good chance he will bluff.

Hand 2 - who the [censored] knows. this board sucks, you have it clobbered. Call, check the turn to him? Shoving flop won't get a call unless he is bad enough to stack off with AK.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise more pre in hand 1, i like turn play, i check river sounds like a good chance he will bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]you think he will bluff that river. Your line looks somewhat like AK or KK and he has no way to rep the ace really, if he's a smart opponent he will not bluff that river.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]you think he will bluff that river. Your line looks somewhat like AK or KK and he has no way to rep the ace really, if he's a smart opponent he will not bluff that river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the A is the worst card to induce him to bluff, he's got to believe that it might've made my hand.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:50 PM

i guess i just read he is loose and he bluffs. I suppose you said he calls too. What hand calls your river bet, I don't really see one, so I'd check for that reason as well
Old 02-02-2006, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check, he checks. (My intention was to c/r allin.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get this. Maybe you had a great read on him but why can't he have a flush?. I would be more inclined to c/r allin If you had the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I like a river check in hand # 1. Let him bluff at it.

Hand # 2: I would run the timer down and just call his bet. I think he is on a stone cold bluff and is likely to bluff at it again. I think you lose him with a 3-bet.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:24 AM

I mean it really depends as far as the ace goes imo. I think it's just as likely a scare card for him to bluff with as it is a scare card for him.

HTS: I have stopped giving people credit for the flush when it's a hu pot and they bet it...so obvious and overdone with and I so rarely see it...so yeah.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:38 AM

Hand #1 I think you should bet turn. And there are many reasons. Good players will check behind with one spade and bet to protect the pot with a hand that has you beat. The worst hand that will bet the turn is top pair and you fail to build the pot against that hand.
If you checkraise what hand that you beat is going to call you? Bad risk/reward here IMO.

Hand #2 Calling on flop is the only option.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:52 AM

Anyone like a weak lead in hand 1 to possibly induce a bluff raise? Say somewhere along the lines of 300-400? Plus that small of a bet may well get called by a marginal hand.

Hand 2 I like a call. Re-raise probably lets him off the hook too easily. I would, however, lead the turn for 500ish because that raise looks like the type of raise that wants to buy a cheap showdown and may easily check behind on the turn, especially if he has a lone ace.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone like a weak lead in hand 1 to possibly induce a bluff raise? Say somewhere along the lines of 300-400? Plus that small of a bet may well get called by a marginal hand.

Hand 2 I like a call. Re-raise probably lets him off the hook too easily. I would, however, lead the turn for 500ish because that raise looks like the type of raise that wants to buy a cheap showdown and may easily check behind on the turn, especially if he has a lone ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like both of these ideas.