Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Transition from Limit to no-limit

I am also sort of in the same boat as you.
Except that I've read 6 books on NL, and as of recently , playing it fairly frequently. But my bread and butter is limit. I started playing exclusivly limit.

For tournaments harrington on holdem 1 &2 is incredible, read them and re-read them.

Cash games, I found I benefited most from a combination of harrington vol 1 and no limit hold em theory and practise.

Four biggest concepts that you wont apreciate yet, but should remember and try to think about:

1)Position is god in no limit - Much more so than limit.

2)Do not build a very large pot with top pair unless your opponent is loose post-flop, or the stacks are small relative to the blinds. You often have to resist the urge to value bet top pair to the river, where in limit, you wouldn't have to think twice.

3)Preflop - Big offsuit cards go down in value, Pairs go up in value, Suited connectors go up in value. Deception is more important. Semi-bluff re-raising in position is a potent weapon, whereas in limit, its near useless.

4)Winning bets is often more important than winning pots- Giving a free card isn't nearly as dangerous.

IE lets say you are in position on the turn.

Your opponent checks.
You suspect he has about 4-8 outs on turn or is trapping you for a check-raise with a monster.
He also sometimes check-raies bluffs his draw.

If you suspect he'll almost always bet the river if he hits or misses, roughly equal to the pot. You can happily check behind, risking the pot.

In limit, it's a clear bet.

Most of the above concepts are contained in Ed millers recent no limit book.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:27 AM

A rose by any name...
Old 11-29-2006, 04:20 PM

Every day I open this forum looking for the announcement that this book is available for pre-order. Yes, I know it isn't due for a few months, but a man can hope, right?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:55 PM

Hi Sam:

It's our policy not to accept pre-orders until the manuscript is approved for publication.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 11-29-2006, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a moderately successful 20-40 limit player and want to make the transition to no-limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot and no limit poker, and improve your poker discuss the adjustments a limit player needs to make.

I would read those 2 first, and then I would suggest hoh vol 1 and the NL section in supersystem 1 or 2. Prob also chapter 1 in HOH vol 2. I would keep re-reading those 4 books, or specific chapters, as I gained more experience. Then at some point read NLTAP.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:11 AM

Hi Mason:

I'm impatient. Just this once? Craftsteak, on me...

Sam