Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-21-2006, 01:30 AM

Default Vegas or LA

I'm a young guy with no responsibilities and have decided that I want to live out west for a year or two. I'm on the east coast now. I plan on playing poker to support myself so my two options are vegas or LA. Anybody who has lived in one or both give me the pros and cons. Any info is appreciated. I plan on moving sometime next year.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Vegas or LA

I've lived in LA (South Pasadena), and the cons are that LA is congested, expensive, and huge. You might want to go from Pasadena to Santa Monica and have it take 1.5 hrs during certain times. The poker there is everpresent and is anywhere from abysmal to excellent depeding on where/what game/etc. Also, Vegas is a three hour drive away straight up the 15.

As for Vegas, the pros are that it's cheaper, less populated, etc. You'll probably get sick of the whole "Vegasy" thing about Vegas. Meaning, it'll lose its glitz and glamour in about 2 weeks. That might not be something you care about.

Since you're going to try supporting yourself playing poker, I'd imagine you'd want all your available money to be put towards poker, so Vegas seems like a better idea. It's really kinda 6 of one, half dozen of the other when it comes to poker. Depending on what kind of stakes you want to play, of course.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:53 AM

I live in L.A. and I love it here. The weather being really nice and your close to everything you want (night life,poker,hot chicks ect.). Las Vegas is also graet with hot girls and good food. Get an apartment in L.A. and see if you can survive playing poker. If everything goes well and your making money than take trips to vegas often or get a house in L.V. for a month or two and see what YOU like best.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:24 AM

I am by no means a seasoned poker player or gambler. I live in LA, and have always been under the impression the Los Angeles area is definately the best place to pursue a poker career, and Vegas is a better place to pursue a gambling career, if you also like sports betting or whatever else. Speaking strictly in terms of poker, I believe more games/limits are going in LA than in Vegas at all times (except maybe during WSOP?).
Old 10-21-2006, 10:24 AM

What games/limits would you play? I play for a living and spend time in both places. California is gorgeous, but ridiculously expensive and heavily congested. You can always find a good game. In Vegas it's much cheaper and you can usually find a good game there as well. I'd suggest finding a place in Vegas and if you get sick of it you can always make the drive to CA for a few days/week/weekend
Old 10-21-2006, 07:52 PM

have you thought about the San Francisco Bay Area? it is a nicer place to live than either LA or LV. Although not the breadth of poker, between SF and San Jose there are a reasonable number of places to play mid-limit and up LHE. Costs are similar to LA.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:47 AM

Vegas, and its not even close. You can take some road trips to LA, but for your $ Vegas is way better.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:05 PM

if you play nl - then it's la by a mile.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:59 PM

I'm from Norcal. Norcal is for visiting, not living.

The weather sucks.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you play nl - then it's la by a mile.

[/ QUOTE ]

LA NL is better than Vegas NL? Why is that? I've only played limit in Vegas.

AB